Off side door mirror loose in holder.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forrester123

Car
E 320
I have an 03 E320 & am having a problem with my door mirror.
After parking on the road I returned to the car to find the drivers' side mirror hanging loose from the surround, just supported by the wiring.
Probably been clipped but no obvious damage.
There are 2 curved metal clips on the mirror assembly, but I can't get them to hold the mirror in the casing securely.
Any ideas?

After parking on the road I returned to the car to find the drivers' side mirror hanging loose from the surround, just supported by the wiring.
There are 2 curved metal clips on the mirror assembly, but I can't get them to hold the mirror in the casing securely.
Any ideas?

The curved metal bits are there to provide smooth operation and in no way hold the glass in.

You must line up the patterns on the back of the glass and the holder...and snap into place. It is much easier with the cover off as shown in the video above.

Any ideas?

Make sure the spring clip (arrowed in the link below) is located below the plastic retaining tab on the back plate.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/2173168-post4.html

Interesting you say the cover can't be removed because you have the folding type. I have too...but the cover can be removed just as in the video you posted above. Or, is yours different?

I may be wrong about that, as I realised when I came across that video. I had previously searched for how to videos several times before, having bought a replacement dimming mirror glass, but that particular video didn't pop up. I actually popped into my local Indie to ask how to change the glass and he changed it for me there and then.

I think I wrongly assumed that the cover wasn't removable, due to the fact that there was an additional metal plate inside the end of the mirror housing (when folded back) that wasn't shown in any of the videos I had viewed, coupled with the way the guy removed the old glass. :doh:

I did look for a release clip through the small aperture, but couldn't see anything. (I know... should've gone to specsavers). We live and learn and I'll know for next time exactly what to do, should the need arise.

Unfortunately unable to edit the text in my previous post. :(

I may be wrong about that, as I realised when I came across that video. I had previously searched for how to videos several times before, having bought a replacement dimming mirror glass, but that particular video didn't pop up. I actually popped into my local Indie to ask how to change the glass and he changed it for me there and then.

I think I wrongly assumed that the cover wasn't removable, due to the fact that there was an additional metal plate inside the end of the mirror housing (when folded back) that wasn't shown in any of the videos I had viewed, coupled with the way the guy removed the old glass. :doh:

I did look for a release clip through the small aperture, but couldn't see anything. (I know... should've gone to specsavers). We live and learn and I'll know for next time exactly what to do, should the need arise.

Unfortunately unable to edit the text in my previous post. :(

I was like you. I couldn't remove it a year ago.

And like you, with folding mirrors there are additional covers in place. But, if you do as shown in the videos it works just the same. I did it the first time two days ago...surprised myself.

I was like you. I couldn't remove it a year ago.

And like you, with folding mirrors there are additional covers in place. But, if you do as shown in the videos it works just the same. I did it the first time two days ago...surprised myself.

Out of interest, what was the width of the blade of the screwdriver you used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom