Offset!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karozza

Car
SL55 AMG/C180 K
So I've found a set of 19s I like on EBAY for my 2003 SL55 but I'm not sure about the Offset. According to what I've read somewhere, my AMG 18s are ET 30 front & ET 31 rear. The seller states his are ET 35.

Hence, I have two issues, first I would like to be certain they will clear my enormous calipers & also, I would really like to pull the rims out as best possible to get a really nice stance!?

Can I use spacers & what size should I buy to get the desired effect??

The seller told me I should be fine with 5mm spacers. There is a second option; I use hub centric 15mm spacers which make them ET20.

Would this be right??

So you are first talking about being 4 and 5mm closer to the callipers, which is not much and easy to measure on your car before you buy. I suspect you will get away with it.

Point 2, is to remember that offset is also about the cars handling.
Too wide a stance and you need more effort to turn the steering wheel; too narrow a stance and the car will be fidgety in a straight line.

That said 4 or 5 mm is not excessive. But I'd do some reading on the internet about offset and handling before 'leaving' the manufacture's original spec.

My data is as follows: ET30 for the front (18" & 19"), ET33 (18") or ET31 (19") for the rear:

Front...........................................Rear
18 x 8.5 30 255/40R18..................18 x 9.5 33 285/35R18 AMG
19 x 8.5 30 255/35R19..................19 x 9.5 31 285/30R19 AMG

Cheers,
Robert :)

I have no problem whatsoever with using spacers; I have used quite a few before on previous cars with no issues.

My query really is: if the seller is accurate with the ET & spacers he suggests??

I gather that if my front alloys have an ET 30 & his rims have ET 35; this is why he suggests 5mm spacers to pull them out; correct?? :dk:

With offset settled, the supplier needs me to take pictures of my hubs to provide the correct spacers ! Problem is I simply don't have time to play around jacking up, pictures & what not, I'm sure these are pretty standard!?

Anyhow, alternative is buy them online. So, any suggestion where to buy them in the UK for reasonable money?

I'll just ask the wheel supplier to provide 15mm longer bolts.

As the rims are provided without centre caps, I'll also have to find Gunmetal Mercedes centre caps as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom