Oh dear. Dear, dear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kraftwerk

Car
97 R129 500; 78 Fiat 238 Weinsberg; 74 Fiat 128 Special; 99 Honda X11, 99 Suzuki GSX1300R
Loving the SL, I really am. Had it for just over a week now. Did about 150 miles in it on Saturday - not the sort of miles I would have chosen to do (three trips along the North Circular - one to tow my mate's 1968 VW Squareback off the M11) but it's a hugely enjoyable steer.

Bit of a problem, though... the roof's not working. At the behest of the dealer from which I bought it, I took the SL to Automerc on Friday, who plugged it in to their diagnostic system and came up with a faulty pump and a suspected faulty control unit. Price for parts? £2,650 + VAT; £130 labour to fit.

Obviously the dealer had kittens when I told him, as this constitutes around a third of the car's value. To his credit, though, he's driving up from Bournemouth tomorrow to pick it up and leaving a car with me while he has mine fixed. It's a pain, really, as I won't have the SL in which to travel to the Classic Car show at the NEC this weekend. He's leaving me a 08 Octavia. 'It's a nice car,' he said; 'really, it's a Passat/A4.'

'Are you trying to convince me or yourself?' Oh, we did laugh.

Thus far, he's been pretty cool. The plastic windows were replaced before I took delivery, so I've no reason to disbelieve that they had the roof working a number of times. He was very apologetic; 'All that money you spent and the roof's not working. We need to sort this out for you.'

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

Most dealers have no idea how to fix the roof and quote codes verbatim. I would be very surprised if it needed a new pump and a new ECU.

PM me the codes and I'll look into it if you want.

Most dealers have no idea how to fix the roof and quote codes verbatim. I would be very surprised if it needed a new pump and a new ECU.

PM me the codes and I'll look into it if you want.
I would have thought Automerc would know what they're doing, no? Thanks for the offer - I'll have a look at the paperwork tonight and get back to you. Really appreciate you taking the trouble to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom