Oil boiler and tank price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
I started a thread about moving an oil tank a couple of months ago http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/134318-moving-oil-tank.html but when I cleared the area I found a manhole cover :doh: so that put an end to that idea.

Things have changed slightly and im going to replace the boiler and move it to a new position and need a new bunded tank. I've had 2 quotes and waiting for a third but the prices seem to be way too high so far.

New boiler under the stairs, a new 1250ltr tank 2metres away, 3 new trv valves and a power flush. I don't want the flow and return pipes on show in the kitchen so it needs new pipework under the floor to the new boiler. Remove tank in bathroom and remove tanks in the loft, remove old boiler but leave old tank in the garden.

I will be bricking up the window under the stairs for the new flue, chasing out the floor outside for the new oil pipe, moving the fuse board 500mm under the stairs to allow for new pipe runs from the bathroom, new fused spur for the boiler and im doing the programmer wiring. Most of the downstairs boards have already been up and the carpets and underlay have gone as oak flooring is going down. Upstairs boards have been up as im half way through rewiring the house and its an easy route back to the boiler from the immersion tank.

Quotes come in at £5800 and £5000 inc vat :eek:

One quote gave the boiler make so I googled it.....£1004 inc vat and a tank is approx £800 inc vat or say £1000 max so that makes over £3k for labour, pipework, powerflush, magna clean and commissioning plus removing the immersion tank but that will be going straight to the scrappy for a little cash back :rolleyes:

Im a tradesman myself and I know about the overheads that go with it but does this seem expensive to any heating guys lurking on here? or is it just me.

IMG-20120927-01776.jpg

I've had a gas boiler installed for £1500 and my father an oil boiler also for £1500. So even with the tank and additional plumbing and wiring, it does seem expensive. I think you just have to keep getting more quotes. I'd suggest being very upfront with the next company: ask for an itemised quotation and explain your expectations with regards to the final price.

Were they straight swaps Will?

Do you live in a big or impressive house?

The boilers were yes. Though a new flue was required for my gas boiler, which was not trivial as it was on the 3rd floor. The oil boiler was again a straight swap but with additional ventilation and wiring. Each job was 1 day, with both boilers £1000 inc VAT. So labour for each was ~£500 inc.

So if your labour is £3000 I'd expect 6 man days or work to be done. Do you know how long they expect the job to take?

Will, i'd say 3 days max.

Do you live in a big or impressive house?

Not really, medium sized detached. I know what your saying, both cars were in the garage and my van was on the drive and I was in my scruffy work gear in fact the house is a bit of a mess as i'm working my way through refurbing it.

just seems odd that both quotes were in the £5k range.

i'm waiting for another price but he came across as a bit off a numpty, to start with he thought we had gas :doh:

John, could you run it past the plumber your using on your house?

Will, i'd say 3 days max.

Not really, medium sized detached. I know what your saying, both cars were in the garage and my van was on the drive and I was in my scruffy work gear in fact the house is a bit of a mess as i'm working my way through refurbing it.

just seems odd that both quotes were in the £5k range.

They do seem high - I'm having a complete central heating system fitted - boiler & 7 rads (in my current refurb project) for £600 labour.

You are doing some of the work already...you could do a bit more. Like siting the tank yourself, installing the boiler and associated pipe work. It isn't difficult if you're handy. Fitting TRVs is easy. So just need someone to do the power flush and check everything.

You are doing some of the work already...you could do a bit more. Like siting the tank yourself, installing the boiler and associated pipe work. It isn't difficult if you're handy. Fitting TRVs is easy. So just need someone to do the power flush and check everything.

Yep I could but I never do any work where the customer supplies any parts or does any wiring as when I do it myself I know its been installed the right way.

Im not sure if someone would be put off by me doing this, I can ring round I suppose, as they wont have any mark up on materials but then again they could be in and out for cash.

Yep I could but I never do any work where the customer supplies any parts or does any wiring as when I do it myself I know its been installed the right way.

Im not sure if someone would be put off by me doing this, I can ring round I suppose, as they wont have any mark up on materials but then again they could be in and out for cash.

Really the only difficult bit may be the wiring...so just get a spark in when you've done the rest.

I've done it...though not with new bits, but resited the boiler and the tank and did the associated plumbing...a spark did the wiring.

I'm a sparky :D

I think you need a plumber to sign it off - if you sell the house in the future, solicitors ask if boiler has been replaced, the next question is request for paperwork.
Also boiler guarantee will require the commisioning form completing in the back of the installation manual.

I started a thread about moving an oil tank a couple of months ago http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/134318-moving-oil-tank.html but when I cleared the area I found a manhole cover :doh: so that put an end to that idea.

Things have changed slightly and im going to replace the boiler and move it to a new position and need a new bunded tank. I've had 2 quotes and waiting for a third but the prices seem to be way too high so far.

New boiler under the stairs, a new 1250ltr tank 2metres away, 3 new trv valves and a power flush. I don't want the flow and return pipes on show in the kitchen so it needs new pipework under the floor to the new boiler. Remove tank in bathroom and remove tanks in the loft, remove old boiler but leave old tank in the garden.

I will be bricking up the window under the stairs for the new flue, chasing out the floor outside for the new oil pipe, moving the fuse board 500mm under the stairs to allow for new pipe runs from the bathroom, new fused spur for the boiler and im doing the programmer wiring. Most of the downstairs boards have already been up and the carpets and underlay have gone as oak flooring is going down. Upstairs boards have been up as im half way through rewiring the house and its an easy route back to the boiler from the immersion tank.

Quotes come in at £5800 and £5000 inc vat :eek:

One quote gave the boiler make so I googled it.....£1004 inc vat and a tank is approx £800 inc vat or say £1000 max so that makes over £3k for labour, pipework, powerflush, magna clean and commissioning plus removing the immersion tank but that will be going straight to the scrappy for a little cash back :rolleyes:

Im a tradesman myself and I know about the overheads that go with it but does this seem expensive to any heating guys lurking on here? or is it just me.

View attachment 31938

I am a oil engineer as well as gas. 5800 seems alot of money.

Boiler subject to KW £1000 inc flue
materials pipe fittings £450 could be alot more if fitting pipework underground, would need to be plastic coated.
Oil tank £800 subject to size
labour two men for four days £1408
Electrcial part P reg £180

3838 + vat 20% 767. total £4650 I would think 4500 to 4750 would cover it.

I would get you to do all the ground works, digging, and making good.

I am a oil engineer as well as gas. 5800 seems alot of money.

Boiler subject to KW £1000 inc flue
materials pipe fittings £450 could be alot more if fitting pipework underground, would need to be plastic coated.
Oil tank £800 subject to size
labour two men for four days £1408
Electrcial part P reg £180

3838 + vat 20% 767. total £4650 I would think 4500 to 4750 would cover it.

I would get you to do all the ground works, digging, and making good.

Thanks Paul, Boiler is a 20kw, I have floorboards downstairs as house built on a slab.....so it is a bit pricey!

Do you fancy a job if I buy and site the tank :D I bet your Yarmouth side of Norfolk though.

No I am in Norwich. 20kw then yes very over priced, and wooden floors, even better :)

I am upto my eyes in boilers, so couldnt help fitting sorry :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom