OIL EXTRACTION PUMP ... RECOMMENDATION PLEASE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
After 50 years of doing it the hard way, I've eventually succumbed to the modern practice of pumping the old oil out thru the dip-stick tube, rather than lying underneath and wrestling with under-trays.
I saw a pump for about a tenner at Lidl.
Went back for it a couple of days later ... Sold out.
So - I unwisely looked on Amazon and found a German one for 12.99 + delivery.
Bought it .... It was delivered in good time and looked good.
Unfortunately, it was worthless.
It wouldn't pump at all - Even after priming it with the oil can.
The supplier's response ..... Throw it away.
Now trying to get my refund.
Ok ... Lesson learned ... Fingers burned ... Time wasted !!!
So guys ..... Your recommendations please.
I'm only looking to do about 2 oil changes a year (2 cars).
This is not for regular commercial use.
Do Euro Car Parts do one at an affordable price ?
I've trawled their web-site and not seen one.
Thanks in advance.
John

2 choices usually an electrically driven scavenger type pump or one based on the vacuum system. PELA make a range of pumps of varying capacity -- I have the cylindrical 6.5 litre one they last for years. Beware ones that are simply rebadged/repriced PELA's and shop around for the best price - they vary quite a lot- ship chandlers are a good source- no way of getting at the sump plug when that engine's deep in the hull.
Pela Pumps, Oil, Liquid Extractors, Oil Extract

I use (like many on here) this 12V Electric Fluid Extractor Oil Diesel Transfer Pump Siphon Car Motorbike 60W | eBay

It has never let me / my neighbour down and I have four cars that all have regular changes.

TIP: For those that have not used one of these before. Run the engine & oil up to temp before trying to extract the oil or ATF. It will significantly speed up the extraction process and put less strain on the pump motor. The supplied hoses are heat resistant and non-collapsible so do not worry about damaging them. When you have removed your oil allow the pump to drain back into your dirty oil collector. A small amount of dirty oil makes a large amount of mess and the pump hose holds a fair bit.

I use the same one Bruce uses (well not the actual same one, I have my own...but it's the same as Bruce's).

I use the same one Bruce uses (well not the actual same one, I have my own...but it's the same as Bruce's).

I use the same one Ciaran uses. Why? I nicked his tip from on this very site and have never regretted it ;^) I have done gearboxes, cooling systems and engines all with no issue at all.

Oh.. Tip 2. When it is finished sucking up (technical term) wait 15 minutes then give it a last burst just to be sure you catch all the hot oil that has run down to the sump. It usually has and you will probably find that there is no more to come up.

Tip 3: When pumping out you may be tempted to go for a cup of tea. This is good. You may return to find that the extraction outfall, has come out of your dirty catch can. This is really funny and will cause you great mirth and happiness as well as ours cleaning up your drive. Just saying... Be sure to check that the pipe will not fall out.

Thanks guys for you helpful replies.
I'll probably go for the electric one.
The only problem is it looks identical to the useless one I got thru Amazon.
Even worse ..... The Amazon one was more-or-less the same price - But there was substantial postage cost on top of that.
The e-bay one offers free delivery.
I think that's the way I shall go.
Thanks again.
John

Tip 3: When pumping out you may be tempted to go for a cup of tea. This is good. You may return to find that the extraction outfall, has come out of your dirty catch can. This is really funny and will cause you great mirth and happiness as well as ours cleaning up your drive. Just saying... Be sure to check that the pipe will not fall out.
I appreciate your sense of humour ..... Sounds like our experiences have been very much alike.

Thanks guys for you helpful replies.
I'll probably go for the electric one.
The only problem is it looks identical to the useless one I got thru Amazon.
Even worse ..... The Amazon one was more-or-less the same price - But there was substantial postage cost on top of that.
The e-bay one offers free delivery.
I think that's the way I shall go.
Thanks again.
John

Did you try it with Hot Oil? Or try pumping up water first. It is a very simple pump with little to go wrong (even for me and I break stuff just opening the box)

I've got one similar to BruceMillar's, they ALL work better if you are pumping warm oil out and not stone cold.

I tried pumping the oil after driving the car for 20 miles and then letting it stand for two hours to drain all oil to the sump.
The engine was still hot to the touch.
I would have thought it ideal for pumping.

I am surprised it didn't work.
It actually did not pump at all.
I watched the inlet tube and the oil never even rose above the top of the dipstick tube.
The tube was definitely to the bottom of the sump.
As said ... These are pretty simple devices.
Obviously not my lucky day.

The good news is that (after a bit of wrangling), I got both my purchase price and my postage back from Amazon - So the free delivery on this item will save me money.

I tried pumping the oil after driving the car for 20 miles and then letting it stand for two hours to drain all oil to the sump.
The engine was still hot to the touch.
I would have thought it ideal for pumping.

I am surprised it didn't work.
It actually did not pump at all.
I watched the inlet tube and the oil never even rose above the top of the dipstick tube.
The tube was definitely to the bottom of the sump.
As said ... These are pretty simple devices.
Obviously not my lucky day.

The good news is that (after a bit of wrangling), I got both my purchase price and my postage back from Amazon - So the free delivery on this item will save me money.

Hmm. One thing to watch is that you do not have end of the tube (that goes into the sump) pushed hard against the sump bottom. Easy way to check is, with the pump running, lift the hose up a tad or down a bit. Or just stick it into a bucket of water and see if it pumps then? The thinest tube is he tube that goes into the engine.

I, too, took some convincing before going over to the 'dark side'. :D I now at least have the choice; lie on the ground, get cold and have oil on my hands, just like 'real motorists' do, or simply stick the tube in and wait.

I use a Pela, 6-litre cylindrical style, and it's certainly easier. However, I have found that it doesn't fit all cars, ie not long enough for a W169 (yes I know, get a longer tube:rolleyes:) and it was too thick for one of a my previous cars. Good to have the choice.

Ideal for boat engines, as well.

"Hmm. One thing to watch is that you do not have end of the tube (that goes into the sump) pushed hard against the sump bottom"
I jiggled it about to avoid this possibility.
I also removed the inlet pipe from the pump and primed it with the oil can with the inlet port pointing upwards.
Definitely the pump.

Another good one if you dont want to spend to much time under the car is to get a Fumoto valve .It screws in to the sump istead of the sump plug Then you jrst turn the lever for it tp drain the sump I have the same pump as bruce, but never used it yet .And as long as i can keep getting down and under the car i will change it the old way , through the drain plug .

if its good enough for KEN-----??
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I wonder if you get more oil out by sucking it out, or Draining it? Where possible i think draining it is better for the engine.

I have a Pela 6000 that's been used for years now on mine and the families cars. Well worth the investment, simple to use. As already said by others, get the oil nice and warm. Part of my thinking when I got my Merc was that it has a dipstick. I change the oil and oil filter once per year and it could be done in your Sunday best!

Pumping as the tube goes all the way to the bottom of the sump. Whereas a sump plug can be an inch up the sump side.

I wonder if you get more oil out by sucking it out, or Draining it? Where possible i think draining it is better for the engine.

Pumping as the tube goes all the way to the bottom of the sump. Whereas a sump plug can be an inch up the sump side.

Oh right i see, Is this how the later engines are then? With my w211 e55k the plugs are right at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom