OIL EXTRACTION PUMP ... RECOMMENDATION PLEASE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder if you get more oil out by sucking it out, or Draining it? Where possible i think draining it is better for the engine.
But why? If they both get the same amount of oil out why is draining better?

Engines are designed for vacuum extraction these days and the suction tube will go to the very lowest part of the sump. I measured what came out and what went back in again. It actually exceeded MB stated oil change volume so I'm confident I get it all out. With a cartridge filter on the top and so easy and clean to change I'm done with getting under the car.

It's my view that any Sludge or contaminants etc will find it easier to go with gravity than against it. Just my opinion of course.

The m113k in my engine has a split sump so you would never get it all out by vacuum in any case.

It's my view that any Sludge or contaminants etc will find it easier to go with gravity than against it. Just my opinion of course.

The m113k in my engine has a split sump so you would never get it all out by vacuum in any case.

Do you have two sump plugs?

I have read so many comments & opinions on the sucking v dropping. I then (I shall try and find it later) watched a video that demonstrated why sucking is is more efficient than draining. It works on the basis that if you have sludge? The sludge is so heavy it will be set firmer than any draining flow will remove. Whereas suction will act the same as hoover and will make a reasonable job of hoovering it up. The concept that some have of sludge being thrown around a modern engine is simply not justified. Modern oils and engines do not sludge and if they do? Neither draining or sucking will help. You are already flying to the scene of the accident (as I know from my 124 crank failure). I can also tell you that sludge is heavy (how do I know). I also know that most garages now use suction (not vacuum).

Wash a pair of muddy trainers in a bath. Let water settle and pull the plug out. Does the grit remain? Yes it does. Now stick a suction pump in the bath water and watch the grit disappear up the pipe. Just saying.....

That's cool Bruce, but you can only suck one section of the sump the Pipe enter's can't you?, if there is debris in the other corners/area's wouldn't it be more efficient to let the oil drain it out? Like i say mine has 2 plugs anyway, but its interesting seeing how others do it certainly.

I must admit that i have always removed drain plug for oil change, however, i can see the virtues of sucking oil out, i have three cars to maintain, and they all get regular oil changes as i have always thought a clean engine is a good engine.
As i get older and stiffer (well past 60 years now) it sounds good not to have to get under car. The Mini has to have a jack under front to get at the drain plug, and to get bowl under, the Aygo is dead easy, but still have to get under it as that is where the oil filter is. The Mercedes is new to me, only done one change and i admit that due to its design (cross member and pipes right under drain plug) it was messy.
I think it may well be my next tool to buy.

I decided that as 67 approaches that my days of rolling about under my car to change the oil are over. The guy that looks after the company vans does most of my work now at very sensible rates. Last job was oil/filter, brake fluid change, diff oil change, new coolant and aircon service, labour was £60.00 I supply the bits and make the brews. However I am still tempted towards buying a vac pump and doing my own under the hood stuff.

I’ve got to chip in and say I think draining is better in most cases, sucking it out through the dip tube has obvious benefits in some as does draining it in others.
In my case, I’ve just had both the sumps off my car to replace the gaskets, and the dip tube in the m156 engine goes into an almost dead end hole approx 30mm from the bottom of the sump.
I would also advise anyone to change the filter first too before emptying the oil, as when you unscrew it up over, it dumps the contents of the filter housing back down into the bottom of the engine.

Thanks Graeme for those videos ... Quite revealing.
I've been pretty surprised in the past to see how much ATF remains in the auto trans pan after draining using the drain plug.
Also - It's obviously important to do the job with the oil warm.
What really settles this for me is old age and under-trays.
I'm past 70 now and I've been draining oil for 50 years ..... Most of it on my back on the floor !!
Definitely time for a change.
We shouldn't be too precious about draining every last drop of oil ...... Just do the changes that bit more often.

Not read any of this, but I bought this one from amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MS3X891/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

It's perfect, and I opened it up and it's nicely made too. Twin copper vanes.

My days of getting under cars are over. I used to take pride in it with our little shitty hatches, but now with big heavy cars I'd rather just not, coupled with the fact I have to remove loads of under panels before I can get to a sump plug...

Just suck the oil out and pour new oil in. Anyone advocating jacking the car up, removing under panels, arguing with a sump nut, replacing copper washer, burning your arm, getting oil on your drive and risking death all because you might get 0.1l more oil out needs to read their max power magazine if any pages still successfully peel apart.

I've had a Sealey 9.5 litre pump since around 2010.
It's great and 9.5lt means that I don't have to empty half way through a change.

I know that BMW have been sucking out the oil for around 30 years and that MB are not far behind them - even in an organised service workshop, it's easier and cleaner to suck rather than drain.
The main dealers won't be pumping by hand like yours truly, but will have powerful pumps that I should think take the waste oil to a convenient (perhaps mass) container ready for collection.
Unless they suck first and then carry out other services items and then return later, I do wonder if the main dealers have time to let the oil run down the sump walls etc.

The procedure I use is pretty much:
1: Set everything up - I use a table similar to Black & Decker Workmate which is great and a nice height for tools, oil, tissues etc.
2: Take the car for a run and get up to temperature.
3: 15 minutes after returning, start to pump out the oil which is HOT but nice and thin.
4: After pumping all that will come out, unscrew oil filter and insert pipe into the holes in there to suck out and then leave for another 15 minutes and return for what his trickled through to the sump.
5: My party trick - 8ish litres of oil to replace, so I then (assuming I have bought 2X 5ltrs of Oil) GLUG around a litre of CLEAN OIL into the filler cap to drag down some of what remained from original drain-down, wait for another 15 minutes and then pump again.

It's handy to save a largish piece of cardboard to place on the floor to catch any mess, although when I recently changed the oil on the 210 (after not doing my own oil changes for a few years) I didn't spill a drop!

However, after replacing the O-rings on the plastic filter holder, I re-screwed into place and added oil and then started the engine (ooh, that sounds sweet) and after leaving at idle for 5 minutes and tidying things away, realised I hadn't added the replacement oil filter!

The great thing about the 9.5lts pump is that after adding the new oil, you can just tip from the pump into one of the oil containers and another receptacle and straight off to disposal.

John, it has been a while since we curried together, but I'd be willing to bring my pump for you to use/experiment with at your leisure if you wish.

Drop me a line or give me a call. :)

Hi i-CONICA.
Agree with all you say.
However - the pump I bought from Amazon [See my post #1] was identical to yours and did not work at all (although I have now got my money back).
The pump from ebay [See the link in brucemillar's post #3] is half the price of the one from Amazon.
Again - It looks identical, and this is the one that I have ordered.
ebay have just confirmed despatch of the item ...... Here's hoping !
There are several models offered from various sources at different prices that look the same.
I guess I was just unlucky.

Hi Ringway.
Yes - It's some time since we curried together.
We must address this failure pretty soon.
I'm in the process of moving to Leeds at this time.
As you know - It's been a pretty-tumultuous 21 months (to say the least) - during which time, I've been largely absent from the Forum.

Thanks for the offer of the use of the pump ...... Sounds good.
I've gone down the electric pump road, so I'm hoping to give this a try next week.

As you say - The main garages use a powerful pump and pump into a large waste oil drum.
We're just humble amateurs.

Will send you an email with a few private thoughts
Cheers.
John

I have have the Lidl one and it works just fine.

I usually drain it out but the last time I did an oil change I forgot the most important thing (no not oil), sump washer!

Sucked it out and got out what I would by draining it imo.

Friend of mine used it on his old Celica but it only drained a little bit out no matter where the pipe was. No amount of wriggling, pulling, pushing did the trick so had to drain it.

That's cool Bruce, but you can only suck one section of the sump the Pipe enter's can't you?, if there is debris in the other corners/area's wouldn't it be more efficient to let the oil drain it out? Like i say mine has 2 plugs anyway, but its interesting seeing how others do it certainly.
Gav, I do 2 changes a year with a Sucky tube, I get the car hot, drive it up some steep ramps & suck away, it all comes out , well , I put in 8.5+ Litres & thats what comes out...
I also did this with the Gearbox x3 ...all good. Sucky is the way to go said the Las Vegas show girl ;)

Well the previous Owner of Brutus had the oil sucked out, and it didnt take long for the oil to get dirty again, After i've changed the oil the "proper way in my book" the oil has stayed nice and clear, BUT! this may also be down to the fact i replaced the Oil cooler.

I also change my oil and filter every 3k too.

I'm sticking with what works for me on this one, But it's always good to get opinions from other's :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom