Oil Filters

Do you agree that the Mehre line of filters are the bestist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arctree

Car
W203 C220 Coupe 2007
Duff poll alert: I meant to input Mahle so any vote for Mehre is a vote for Mahle.

So, being a Mercedes Newbie I marveled at the oil filter at the top of the engine on my C220 W203 Coupe and saw an opportunity.
Since cleanliness is next to Christian Godliness I decided to try a pile of them.
Please note: I did weigh them and one filter won hands down although at time of writing I have lost the weights. These findings are just my opinion and points of view.

BTW: All filters left in car one 7 day week and ran same mileage then examined.

I tried:
Motoquip OL481 Weight 48.6g: Which had a filter collapse preventer inside and filter paper noticeably best quality but collapse preventer is redundant with the Merc` oil thing that it attaches to.
Marks out of 10? 8.5

Borg & Beck BFO4012
Dont bother, just run of the mill. thin filter but a tad heavier than other cheapies.

Unipart: GFE 428
Similar to above but thicker filter paper. Ok, but Unipart are no more so old stock so I`m told.

Mahle: OX153D3 (not to be confused with anything remotely spelt` similarly like Mehre which was inferior)
Weigh 60.10g, 50 pleats (the highest) and best quality visibly filter paper. Showed least saturation of soot type particles but make your own mind up what this means.
Marks out of 10? 9.5.

I have a Meyle (Part No. OX153D3 in the post and suspect its the same as a Mehre but we`ll see.

I also tried others but non came close to the Mahle in terms of filter quality, composition, overall weight and thickness as measured from center to outer edge.
I know this isn't very scientific but its just my findings after giving in to my OCD.

BTW I have no connection with any filter manufacturers and offer this info just for free opinion, nothing else.

Last edited:
I sell various brands of Filters

Fram, Mahle, ADL, Mann, Bosch

Never had a issue with any off them, When you do it usually turns out to be fitter error

All the oil filters I've brought from Mercedes for the w202 have been made by Hengst. Currently using Bosch, which are fine.

I'm sure the MB one is manufactured by Mann, on some models anyway.

Interestingly at my local dealer they have a display of service parts 'cut out' showing the internals...MB vs 'Aftermarket'. The aftermarket air filter was Bosch, which imo is a quality product but was being portrayed as inferior

I always thought Bosch would be equivalent to the MB OE filters.....until I cut the ends of both makes and found the MB filter was 30% longer when the filter paper was stretched out.

I always thought Bosch would be equivalent to the MB OE filters.....until I cut the ends of both makes and found the MB filter was 30% longer when the filter paper was stretched out.

On occasion the MB item will also show the original manufacturer's part number, in which case the non-MB branded filter will be the same as the MB branded one.

But when an item only has the MB part number, and not the original manufacturer's part number, then there is no way of telling if the non-MB branded part will be the same as the MB branded one.

Many manufacturers will produce parts to MB spec and will not sell the same parts under their own brand.

I have two different equivalents of your filter on the shelf. A Hengst E38H D106 with 47 Pleats and a Wix WL7322 with 51 pleats. I have nothing that will weigh them accurately but the Wix is definitely heavier and of better quality.

Wix won't be on many people's radar but they are very high quality filters which I've used before on other vehicles so I had no hesitation in using them on the W204.

I also marvelled at the top mounted filter arrangement that is so much easier and cleaner to change than the old spin on filters.

I have two different equivalents of your filter on the shelf. A Hengst E38H D106 with 47 Pleats and a Wix WL7322 with 51 pleats. I have nothing that will weigh them accurately but the Wix is definitely heavier and of better quality.

Wix won't be on many people's radar but they are very high quality filters which I've used before on other vehicles so I had no hesitation in using them on the W204.

I also marvelled at the top mounted filter arrangement that is so much easier and cleaner to change than the old spin on filters.

The old spin-on type filters were discontinued because of the environmental impact of having to dispose of a tin can full of used engine oil at every service.

Tbh I just get merc filters, they're not that pricey.

Yugguy said:
Tbh I just get merc filters, they're not that pricey.
Same here. Mine has gone up from a tenner to fourteen quid.
I get two at a time so I only have to visit every couple of years.

Same here. Mine has gone up from a tenner to fourteen quid.
I get two at a time so I only have to visit every couple of years.

Ah, well that was my point i suppose, if you found a really good cheap filter like the Mahle then why not change every couple of months? Can but do the insides good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, well that was my point i suppose, if you found a really good cheap filter like the Mahle then why not change every couple of months? Can but do the insides good?

There is an augment that filters function more efficiently i.e. they remove smaller particles once they get a little dirty. Therefore replacing them more often than necessary is not optimal. They are sized for extended change intervals of at least 15000 miles these days and even if they get too dirty then the oil goes around the bypass. Not desirable perhaps but it does that every time from a cold start anyway.

I know this isn't very scientific but its just my findings after giving in to my OCD.

I'd have to agree it's not scientific and that in itself is a problem. I'm sure some filters have better filtration qualities than others, thus the safest bet is just buy a leading brand - job done. Being candid I'd be more concerned about using a top quality oil than the brand of the filter.

Actually with oil quality being so high these days I'd be as much concerned about the filter as the oil because choosing oil is easy, it just has to meet the MB spec. The problem with filters is there is no such readily recognised certification of quality so we end up either trusting brand names or making judgements on physical construction.

For those interested enough there is an oil filter forum.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/Engine_Oil_Filters

Last edited:
Just buy the filter from MB, it's not expensive and you know it's the correct spec/quality

An oil filter forum:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Actually with oil quality being so high these days I'd be as much concerned about the filter as the oil because choosing oil is easy, it just has to meet the MB spec. The problem with filters is there is no such readily recognised certification of quality so we end up either trusting brand names or making judgements on physical construction.

For those interested enough there is an oil filter forum.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/Engine_Oil_Filters

^^^The link clearly states bobistheoilguy.com

That's all I am saying :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom