Old Carpets Steam Cleaned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawkwind

Car
CLK 320
In the process of getting my grubby W208 320 CLK convertible cleaned. Tried cleaning the filthy seat belts with my steam cleaner as another member posted a thread detailing amazing results. But didn't work for me :( Think I might have to try a bleach solution.

As the steamer was on the go anyway I thought I'd have a go on the carpets, here's a couple of pictures of the results.

I can't believe the difference and can't wait to finish the whole cabin. The door cards have come up like new, but you have to be careful because the carpet on the door cards is glued on and the steam softens in up to the point it'll come off!! :doh:

But with no need to scrub, if your careful you can get rid of all those years of ingrained grime, without causing any damage at all.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has a newer model, but for those of us that have, shall I say, more senior models, it's certainly worth a try in a more discreet area, so if it goes wrong it doesn't show.;)

Also I'd give any electrics a wide berth, oh and have all the windows down as well :D

I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried this and especially if anyone has tried it on their soft top / hood? Might be a good way of getting rid of the dreaded green mould?

Let me know what you guys think.

Good solution for soiled fixed carpeting......as for the slip mats......I get MrsB to put them in the washing machine occasionally (one at a time).

I have found that the only effective remedy for soiled seat belts is to soak them in an appropriate solution over night with the belts held fully extended with a couple of sprung type clothes pegs.

Mic

If you get the carpets really clean the interior will look like new. If you take the front seats out you can get at all the nooks & crannies, but it takes a lot of dedication to go that far!

Nick Froome

Thanks for the tips guys.

This is going to be a long term labour of love. I'll be renovating the leather interior eventually, so the seats will probably come out at some point so I'll get around to doing underneath them then.

The added benefit of steam cleaning is it deodorises as well :)

Any suggestions as to what to soak the belts overnight in?

Thanks for the tips guys.

This is going to be a long term labour of love. I'll be renovating the leather interior eventually, so the seats will probably come out at some point so I'll get around to doing underneath them then.

The added benefit of steam cleaning is it deodorises as well :)

Any suggestions as to what to soak the belts overnight in?

For soaking the seat belts I just use whatever domestic stain/dirt removing muck that MrsB suggests might be most effective from her collection of such substances in her cupboard on the day.

Mic

For cleaning the belts try a foaming type of cleaner and work in with a nail brush?

I have good results with taking the door cards of a 208 convertible and steam cleaning them off the car (with switches etc removed). Its always the convertibles that have the musty smell! :)

I had the leather seats of my 968 cab professionally re-done - but while waiting a couple of weeks for him to arrive he suggested giving them a good soaking with Gliptone every couple of days, which I did. I then took the seats out for him - first thing he did was give them a good scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush and soapy water - which surprised me!

This guy knows his stuff - he does interior work for Porsche Tonbridge and Tonbridge Coachworks amongst others - mainly high end vehicles including Bentleys and Lambos, so I was confident he knew his stuff.

Cost me about £220 to have the 2 front seats done - but they came up like new - on a 1993 car. 2 years and a few treatments of Gliptone and they still look superb.

Could I ask which model cleaner you used please?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom