Old Fart + Ford Fusion = %&$@

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought he was edging out to have a look.........not go for it regardless! :eek:

It was fortunate there was a gap in oncoming traffic .

It was fortunate there was a gap in oncoming traffic .

Exactly what I said to my wife.......could have been quite close otherwise!

The more people you encounter, the more nits you encounter...

Estimated driving speed= around 45 in a built up area in the wet. Approach junction with queuing cars- unsighted driver in left hand lane of side road decides to pull out- driver in main road doesn't brake- probably no time- but continues at undiminished speed chosing instead to swerve round the car in his path while sounding his horn. Had the car coming the other way been a few seconds later what would have been the result?

Estimated driving speed= around 45 in a built up area in the wet.

Sure that's a good estimate?

Approach junction with queuing cars ....

... Spots car starting to pull out in good time .... takes corrective action and sounds warning .....

.... and then gets moaned at on a forum.

Not a good estimate at all, it is a 40mph limit ( which we have been petitioning for a total blanket limit of 30mph through out the town) on that road and I was actually doing 30mph or there abouts as I believe that road to be particulary hazardous as there is a crossing and an exit from the super market, from which he turned out........do not judge others by your standards.

Estimated driving speed= around 45 in a built up area in the wet.

You can calculate it from the zebra crossing markings. Each zig/zag line is max 2m long. OP covers 16 in approx 3 seconds, which works out to more like 30, not 45.

Yes indeed, this morning I decided to check on my speed using google earth and frame timings in Adobe Premier.

As you pointed out I was actually going a bit slower than I thought, it works out to

81 metres took 6.5 seconds ( lampost opposite first junction to end of crossing zig zag)

So 27.73 mph...........but lets call it 30 mph for a 40 mph limit road in the wet.....

Seems somebodies estimate is a bit off :D

Incidents like that are why I drive in built up areas in full on defensive mode .... foot hovering over the brake! and especially so when on the bike.
At least you came out of unscathed and avoided all the post RTA crud that goes with it. :thumb:

To be honest it wasn't all that dramatic.......as you I tend to drive "defensive" especially in built up areas (actually even on the Motorway I always have one eye across the armco!), it looks closer on dashcam because of the wide angle lens effect, had there been an oncoming vehicle it would have been a bit more interesting, but hopefully not "hire car" so ;)

Had another "OF" pull out today........this time from a layby on a NSL road, clear as a bell visually.......I won't bother posting the video as I was most likely speeding at 90mph with eyes closed not anticipating the attempted suicide in front of me :D

the speed effect of the camera is used in the filming industry (i used to drive the trucks with cameras on the back filming other cars, for a living) and its surprising how slowly one has to drive, 15 to 20mph is normal, and when played back looks like 30 to 40mph. Miss that job.

so, not surprised at the 27mph calculation. I see the dashcam has a koh option on it.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom