Old Grannies in car parks!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The line I've had said to me several times is "if you can afford... you don't need to worry about the dents".

What bollarks.

The French are even worse for this, my Mondeo has picked up several dings and had half the front bumper removed in supermarket car parks in less then six weeks.

Something I've noticed over the years, if I park my car carefully and properly, almost invariably some knumbskull will seek it out and park way too close. If, on the other hand, I park in a carefully crafted "bad driver, angled and sloppy looking" way, no-one gets close! So, for peace of mind, park at a sloppy angle and look as if you're a discustingly bad driver yourself! :D

That's probably right. I parked my MGB in town the other week, very carefully making sure it was in the centre of the space to minimise risk from other cars. The MGB is quite narrow so it gives a reasonable margin for safety.

When I returned, some absolute clown had parked with two wheels, not close to the line, not even on the line but fully across the line and fully in my space to within a few inches of my car :mad:

That's probably right. I parked my MGB in town the other week, very carefully making sure it was in the centre of the space to minimise risk from other cars. The MGB is quite narrow so it gives a reasonable margin for safety.

When I returned, some absolute clown had parked with two wheels, not close to the line, not even on the line but fully across the line and fully in my space to within a few inches of my car :mad:
:eek: Beggars belief doesn't it!!

Something I've noticed over the years, if I park my car carefully and properly, almost invariably some knumbskull will seek it out and park way too close. If, on the other hand, I park in a carefully crafted "bad driver, angled and sloppy looking" way, no-one gets close! So, for peace of mind, park at a sloppy angle and look as if you're a discustingly bad driver yourself! :D
I have taken to the 'parking at a sloppy angle' to avoid those that park to close......
I went and did a bit of shopping yesterday in the Vito and parked at the other end of the near-empty car park. I came back 30 minutes to find me boxed in by a car either side! The car park was still only half full and there were plenty of empty spaces about, so why park next to me???:mad:

This is something I'd love to know the answer to! One day, when I'm not in a hurry and in the right mood, I'm going to wait until the offender returns to his/her car and ask!

This is something I'd love to know the answer to! One day, when I'm not in a hurry and in the right mood, I'm going to wait until the offender returns to his/her car and ask!
I can only think that it is some kind of skewed pack mentality? :dk:

DAILY MASH on PARKING

I suggest a quick visit to the Daily Mash site where keying in "parking" in the search box will reveal a wealth of comment on parking issues. The Daily Mash - Home
I would highlight
. DISABLED PARKING SPACES MORE ALLURING THAN EVER
and
PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO F***ING PARK ON BRINK OF EXTINCTION
and
PARKING AT WORK NOW HARDEST PART OF MOST JOBS

as worthy of perusal. ---the " profanity averse" should look away now :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My god you are a patient man. You should have screamed Booo at the top of your voice and watch her reaction. As luck would have it she'd no doubt be death!

If she was death, I'd give her a very wide berth.:eek:

sat in sainsbury's car park eating my salad bowl that i had just bought when an old granny drives up alongside me. 'bit close' i thought (she didn't need to be).

Bang - she opens the door and it slams into mine. It was not too bad, so i didn't react too much. I was going to wait until she got out and then check it.

Bang - she does it again. I gave her a stern look.

Bang - she does it a third time!

At which point i lost it and wound the window down -'for christ sake - 3 times - what are you playing at!!'

she apologised - and suggested that i was over-reacting. Not once, but 3 times! That's not over-reacting!

I got out and checked the door and there was no damage - thank god.

I hate grannies in car parks!

leave the grannies alone.......

leave the grannies alone.......

I agree.....I am married to an ''old granny'' and she maintains a healthy respect for our property as well as the property of others.

I am however prepared to consider trading in my old Granny for something with fewer miles on the clock and better coachwork !!!***???

Mic

I find this thread very grannyist!

My mum's a granny, although not mine obviously :) I can assure you firstly she wouldn't open her door onto another car as she wouldn't park stupidly in the first place and if by chance she did have an accident and damage your property, she'd leave a note on the windscreen with her details on it or wait for you to return. Yep, some people are still decent - including grannies. In fact I think there's more chance of your car being damaged by today's typically selfish ignorant chavs than a granny.

OK gran, you can stop beating me with your brolly now :)

i've left a few complementary dents behind when i find some idiot parking too close like that and then hitting my car with there door :D ... wrong, but sometimes the only way they will learn

i've left a few complementary dents behind when i find some idiot parking too close like that and then hitting my car with there door :D ... wrong, but sometimes the only way they will learn

uncalled for.... wrong on many counts..... :ban:

I have suffered damage in the past at the hands of car park idiots who can't open their door without hitting the car next to them.

On one occasion I had just pulled up when another car pulled up alongside. I was getting my stuff together so not rushing to get out when the car which had pulled in opened and the door went crashing into mine. It was very hard (or so it seemed) and very loud.

I jumped out and rather harshly asked what they thought they were playing at. The passenger who had just hit me was unfolding his white stick and the driver started yelling at me that he was blind and it was an accident.

At the risk of being a bit harsh, I pointed out that I was sympathetic to his disability but it didn't give him the right to damage other cars (there was a small scratch in my paint). I asked why the driver didn't get out first and help him out as they were parked quite close and all I got was a mouthful of expletives before they walked off.

Some people!

The most serious I suffered was a major dent and scratch after someone opened a door at some speed into my car. Never found out who it was so had to foot the bill myself. It was at a child-friendly pub place so I figured it was some kid with parents to stupid to help them get in the car. Pub had CCTV but not on that area!

Are we missing the point?

I can sympathise will all sides.
I drive a E220 and a 4x4!
I am a magnet for other cars!
I am turning into Victor Meldrew!

I can say on the subject of 4x4 drivers is that my vehicle far easier to get out of in tight spaces as you don’t need to open the door fully to get out.
The public car park in Pickering is my pet hate. The spaces are way too small for even a small car.
That is my point
Car parking spaces are too small. Retailers try to cram as many people in their car parks as they can.
Why can’t they have a proper sized space for a proper sized car?
Should we start a campaign against the supermarkets till they lose a few spaces and make the others bigger?

My other question is
Have they abolished the use of indicators at roundabouts for all?
I thought it was only optional for BMW drivers:rock:

yeah i have to agree with you there about parking space sizes, the multi storey ones are by far the worst, especially those privately run ones.

sometimes even hospitals have tiny spaces, and those are where people are likely to need a little more, although to be fair, oxford's is now better in this respect

Bottom line though, is no matter if i'm driving an old banger or a nice tidy motor, i take care when getting out so i dont bang into the other car, why is this so hard for some people to do... and it's not jus the old, the younger louts just dont care

Last edited:
read all the above and I don't care if I'm 'grannyist' - she shouldn't have been driving. Three times is three times! The doddery old mare!;)

This is why I tend to take the works van when I go to the supermarket , unless I'm taking my two year old son and can park in the Parent & Child spaces .

Re mbenz76 in post 34 above , I think I'd have asked the driver of the blind passenger who damaged your car for his insurance details - if he had refused , you would have been entitled to call the police as failing to exchange details with anyone reasonably requiring them is an offence .

If people park so close that I have difficulty getting into my own car , I always take pleasure in knocking their mirror askew , without doing any damage :devil:

There is one demographic group, which i am surprised has not been mentioned yet... so i will :D ...

and that is those that require the extra 1/2 space or more to accommodate their "over average frame size" .... let alone a car door and the difficulties with them trying to shoe-horn into a vehicle cabin without the use of a crane and the roof folded back :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom