Old member returning with a CL65 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIRMA

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RCF
Some time ago I was a fairly frequent poster on this forum when I owned my SL63. having sold the SL quite some time ago I bought a little VX 220 Turbo and modified it to become a mean little track day car I've spent a fortune on it and it goes like the wind.
I have over the last few months been trying various models of the CL, first off tried a 6.2 N/A therm a later 5.5 turbo version and out of curiosity tried a CL600 which I actually liked but thought it was way too civilised but went like stink.
So the only car left in the CL range for me to try was the CL65 AMG, what a car it is mind blowingly rapid and very addictive yet can pootle along like the limo it is. So I've landed up with a very nice 2007 CL65.

Very nice too. Got any photos?

Edit.....just spotted your other thread. Lovely car, congrats:thumb:

Have some quick piccies -will get bh to load from phone when she gets back. Mine is 2009 12000 miles palladium black with porcelain interior and piano black trim. Original owner ticked all the options including carbon fibre external package but not the fridge. Astonishingly quick. As a matter of interest the second owner had it for 2.5 years and the only costs he had to incur apart from annual service were 2 new rear tyres and a replacement suspension bush at £150.

Have some quick piccies -will get bh to load from phone when she gets back. Mine is 2009 12000 miles palladium black with porcelain interior and piano black trim. Original owner ticked all the options including carbon fibre external package but not the fridge. Astonishingly quick. As a matter of interest the second owner had it for 2.5 years and the only costs he had to incur apart from annual service were 2 new rear tyres and a replacement suspension bush at £150.

On the subject of maintenance there are always the coil packs hanging over these cars like a sword of Damocles. I've set aside a sum of money because I'm sure that sooner or later they will go. Not sure if insurance will cover it.

I thought the potential problem with coil packs mainly involved the earlier versions but I too am not holding my breath. Arnotts are apparently able to supply these at a much more competitive price than previously so it may not be quite as painful as it used to be.

A couple of V12's I enquired after had the coil packs replaced, in fact one still on Autotrader has it stated. From my research into it it was the older models that shut down one side of the cylinder bank that were prone to more problems.
So I have just dialled it into my ownership regime and hope for the best but expect the worse.
Have you had a go in S mode yet? That's the first thing I did on my test drive. I will be picking mine up Saturday so I've got hold of the manual on-line so as to ensure all the features are known to me.
Mine came de-badged on the rear which I kinda like although those lovely exhausts are a bit of a giveaway.

Haven't had much time to play with it - got it briefly into S mode and tyres were chirping along quite merrily. Since I had to run the gauntlet of the average speed cameras on the M6 I chose to be sensible for the motorway run. Sons have been playing with it and advise it goes "quite well".:doh:

I have a feeling the cruise control will be something I'll be using a lot. You have probably noticed that 60 MPH is like you are doing 20 you sit there cocooned in luxury and silence oblivious to your speed.

Yes I think cruise control will be my friend. The relatively large digital readout in the centre of the speedo helps as well.

Yes I think cruise control will be my friend. The relatively large digital readout in the centre of the speedo helps as well.

And don't forget we will probably be on first name terms with the staff of our local Shell petrol station.

And don't forget we will probably be on first name terms with the staff of our local Shell petrol station.

I already am - my usual weekend summer cars will only do 12mpg on a run. The CL did an (indicated) 20 on 30 mile trip down M6 - clearly not trying hard enough.

Fair enough, I once got 29 MPG in my SL63 never bothered again though.

First day I got my 2012 CL63 I got 27.2mpg. Not seen that since.

I always like to keep an eye on fuel use, my daily which is a V10 twin turbo 5 litre diesel Phaeton can do 39 MPG on a long run and it pleases me to do that. I may out of curiosity do the same journey in the CL I'm reckoning 25 MPG but I'll not loose any sleep over the results because if you did you probably wouldn't buy something like this in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom