Old R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoochini

Car
SL500 1992
It'is an older girl 1992, 125K on the clock - sometimes when I try to "give it some beans" it seems to have a problem getting into revs, it sounds as the fuel pump straggles with fuel delivery. Don't get me wrong when I drive, it goes pretty well but from time to time when I want to get started from the stand still with a bit of umph it staggers. Is it possible that it does not get enough fuel (fuel pump?) or maybe too much of it (injectors)...?

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• SL500small.jpg
    SL500small.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 23
As a 500 it may have dual fuel pumps plumbed in series. One may have failed. You will have changed the inline filter?

fuel filter looks brand new... should I change it anyway?

fuel filter looks brand new... should I change it anyway?
The alloy can [body] of the filter usually looks pretty clean- without knowing the cars service history its difficult to know from visual inspection. Other possiblities are a blocked tank vent or debris blocking the tank outlet filter.
That's assuming that the fuel pressure is the problem?? :dk: Sure way is to get a pressure gauge on to the fuel distributor test port and monitor it over the rev range

Are you sure its not electrical? If it is misfiring, check inside the distributer caps for moisture/condensation, common m119 issue. Give the caps and rotors a good clean with WD40 and smear some silicone grease around the cap seals before reassembly.
Hope this helps.

I have exchanged all electrical bits with new, new distributors, spark plugs, leads and capacitors. and checked them just couple of weeks ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom