OMG it's happened again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Well here I am in sunny Yorkshire visiting my granddaughter and the Metc has let me down.
In April 2009 I had the dreaded oil in turbo on the V6 which cost over £600 to fix ( thanks for Warranty Direct who licked up the bill). Then in Sept last year whilst travelling through France it happened again.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driving-incidents-roadrage/95632-french-woes-but-mobilio-rescue.html
Now today all power gone, no kick down and engine management light comes on. So I'm assuming same again.
Called mobilio and as it's late have agreed for them to come first thing tomorrow.
Now my question is, the first repair is guaranteed for 2 years. So they rebated me for the French disaster. It is now 2 years and 2 weeks after the first repair but only 8 months after the second. Will MB pick up this bill or is it down to me?
Personally I feel there us a fundamental design fault and if this is going to happen on an annual basis I'm inclined to get rid if the car and move to a more reliable marque.

So as they say ......what does the panel think?

I'm not going to rage or get too vexed until a) the fault has been diagnosed and b) MB have given me their decision.

Just hoping it's all fixed in time for Olly's GTG as I'm booked in for an ATF change.

The parts are warranted for two years. So you should be covered. The dealer will have a recored of the repair or parts if you used an independent.

It may not be the cause though. It could be somthing else?? Star is needed first.

Did they fit the modded seal on the turbo?

Did they repalce just the inlet port shutt off motor? If so that is 1/2 the job. Really you need to replace the inlet manifolds too.

Cheers Olly. I don't really know what the changed. All work in UK and France done by MB dealers. My worry is they may try to say the work done in France was a warranty repair to the work done just over two years ago so isn't warrantied for a further two years. But then two weeks over is being very pedantic.

But as you say it may not be the same problem so must wait until tomorrow when they stick it on STAR.

Still hoping to be there Saturday. :thumb:

Surely it's the parts that are warranted not the repair? They changed my diff seals twice under parts warranty

Surely it's the parts that are warranted not the repair? They changed my diff seals twice under parts warranty

If it's the same problem and they try to get out of paying I'll be using this argument. Time will tell.

Update

Mobilio came, put car on Star and yes it is again the inlet port shut off motor. So car is now in at MB York.
Had a discussion with service guy who informed me the repair I had in Sept is classified as a warranty claim under the original repair of April 2009. Therefore there is a good chance MB wont pay. As you can imagine my blood boiled especially when I was informed that there would be a 2% CC charge.

I have a Warranty Direct policy so informed them of the situation. Guy said Merc should pay and they would fight that one.

Called my dealer in Swindon. He was surprised at York's attitude si has looked out all the paper work of the original work and the French one and is now faxing them up to York. He feels MB will pick up the bill or at least make a good contribution. I now await.

This is not good... I wonder with more than a hint of interest what causes these.

I would not want to sell ours but regular £500 bills would do it for me....

This is not good... I wonder with more than a hint of interest what causes these.

I would not want to sell ours but regular £500 bills would do it for me....

I'm beginning to wonder if it's time to sell it. If I did don't know what to go for. My Volvo was trouble free and so is Mrc Cs Honda.

But I agree £600 every 8 months sticks in the craw. Not that I have actually been billed YET.

Thing is - you can be unlucky with any car - or do you think Mercs are above average in that department?

True. But mine seems to be on this one issue. Once is unlucky, twice is annoying but the same fault three times is taking the ****.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's time to sell it. If I did don't know what to go for. My Volvo was trouble free and so is Mrc Cs Honda.

But I agree £600 every 8 months sticks in the craw. Not that I have actually been billed YET.
I was talking to my friend who works at Mercedes on the commercial side and he was rather critical of the same 3.0 V6 CDi that is in the 639 Vito 120 CDi.
I can't recall the exact mechanics of what he said, but the crux of his point was that beause Mercedes are trying to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of what is a fair size engine, they are having these running faults.
That said, I have posted a link in the spotted on ebay section showing a car with the 3.0 V6 CDi engine that has done 335,000 miles so I guess they are not all bad.....

True. But mine seems to be on this one issue. Once is unlucky, twice is annoying but the same fault three times is taking the ****.

To my mind that would imply that this is either merely a symptom and the real reason hasn't been rectified, or they're skimping on the repair rather than doing it properly.

Im afraid these port shutoff motors are a pain... but they are the only real common problem on the V6 CDI. I wouldnt let it put you off the car.

Im afraid these port shutoff motors are a pain... but they are the only real common problem on the V6 CDI. I wouldnt let it put you off the car.

Jay have you ever known it to go 3 times in 2 years? Just been told/asked to do 2 hrs diagnostics on manifolds. Hmmm. Agreed but really have no choice. Still no-one has discussed who's paying.

Update

Just had a call from MB York. MB have agreed to pay for all the repair. So a result. They also informed me I have some suspension problems. So I'll find out tomorrow what they are. Good thing is I'll be able to take the car to Ollys for the GTG and ATF change. Many thanks to Whitenemisis for his offer of a lift down; much appreciated Peter :thumb:

That's great news Graham!

Wonder what MB have found with the suspension? Still Olly will be able to give you a second opinion ;)

My port inlet shutoff motor failed due to oil contamination from the turbo seal in July 10.

Modified seal fitted & in March 11 it was found to be leaking again, circa
8000 miles later.

Renewed free of charge by dealer

Splitpin.

My port inlet shutoff motor failed due to oil contamination from the turbo seal in July 10.

Modified seal fitted & in March 11 it was found to be leaking again, circa
8000 miles later.

Renewed free of charge by dealer

Splitpin.

I'm not one to gloat, but; if I were to upgrade why would I want the CDI? I might get any extra 10mpg, but £600 buys a few tanks of diesel!

I'm not one to gloat, but; if I were to upgrade why would I want the CDI? I might get any extra 10mpg, but £600 buys a few tanks of diesel!

No charge for me in either case.First incident was also covered by MB.

I have no intention of starting another petrol/cdi discussion.

Splitpin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom