On average how long do you keep your car for?

On average how long do you keep your car for?

• <6 months

Votes: 15 2.7%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 45 8.2%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 99 18.1%
  • 2-4 years

Votes: 196 35.9%
  • >5 years

Votes: 132 24.2%
  • 4-5 years

Votes: 59 10.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ohhhhhhh Alfetta. My father had a 2ltr one in the 1970's and it was wonderful. His boss had a 1.3 Marina and went through the roof when he found out what he had bought with his 'opt out of the company car scheme' money. Pure Jealousy.
Ive had it for 21+ years, my missus wont let me sell it.. its a great car 2 litre twin cam with twin 40's.. unfortunately it doesnt get used as my Merc collection has taken over!@

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

i dont like to change cars, lol you may think - you are weird haha, but it is just me, before buy have good thought what i actually required and then keep it for long. driving licence for 19 years, but drove dads cars in past. 12 years ago i bought my first car, and week ago 3rd. 2nd still with me and i hope it will serve long.

Used to be about five years, once I started on the E55 trail about a year, now down to a matter of weeks (!), but that's only temporary; I'll stop soon, really I will...

I tend to buy when a car is 3 years old, where the car has done most depreciation and hopefully at low mileage (17-28k). Drive it until 39k and sell at a still decent price, so it seems to be around 1.5 - 2 years per car.

Usually 3 years is enough for me. But I kept my 2011 E63 for 6 years.... I liked it a lot, and I kept it until I could order a new W213 with 4-Matic.

7 cars (3 new, 4 pre-owned) in 49 years, each one lovingly cared for until there was a need to part company.

I've owned six cars in thirty five years of which I still have four. It is hard to say how long I keep them because I have never sold a car in my life, and I am in my 50's.

Its interesting that there are so many votes for over 5 years. I usually change my car after about 3 years but our last car (ML270) was SO Good it stayed for 6 years.

I normally change cars every 3 years,I get bored with them,I have on occasion held on to a car for 5 years,but only if I have needed it for work.

Till I need a new one - the point where the old one has reached the end of its useful/economically viable life

The marketing people obviously knew what 'keyless go' would really mean when they named it.

Tomorrow, with luck, sees me saying goodbye to the Honda CR-V I've had since August 2004. If I were still travelling to work daily, I would have kept it. It has done 153,000+ miles and shows no sign of stopping. It took the place of the "Rav 4 Rollerboot" I bought in 1997. I can only hope the Green Meanie lasts as long...

After retiring from working abroad and always having company cars returning to UK bought jag XJR V8 had it 18 months until left uk to live in Jersey with holiday home in Tunisia.
Then bought new Toyota Prado in Tunisia, sold after 11 years and 70 k kilometres ( for 50% of new cost )
Did without a car in Jersey 2003 -12 , used my wife's RAV4 / Smart
Then living in Jersey in 2012 bought W211 E320 cdi sold after 4 years ( when back in uk )
Bought ML 320cdi Sport, sold after 8 months to be replaced by newer facelift ML350cdi
Not planning to replace it for at least 3 years

It varies.
I'd still have my Volvo S60T if my wife hadn't bent it (it was BSR tuned) - had that for nearly 2 years.
I then got a Jag X-Type but moved onto a CLS (again tuned) which ate tyres, otherwise I'd still have that (about 2 years)
Had a Jag XF but it "had issues" so it lasted only a year...
I've had the E350 a year now. Main gripe is the seats ("not a Jag/Volvo!") but otherwise, barring the stupid BlueEfficiency gearbox enforced decouple in C, I love it.

Usually 4 or 5 yrs, but had a couple of 2yr lease cars which skewed the average. Now retired, so chose a semi-sensible car to keep.

MrsB tends to keep hers for 5yrs plus, and I’ve had the JZR 3wheeler for over 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom