One of those moments when you just have to pinch yourself - C43 content

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom Newton

Car
190d + C43 AMG
You know those moments when you just have to pinch yourself? Well that was me last night driving home after collecting this.

16726266543_18421d6aed_h.jpg

Some of you might remember i started the below thread as i was pondering the best Merc for a European road trip i'm going on the second week of May.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/187477-best-merc-european-road-tour.html

Did plenty of looking around and eventually ended up with this.

17346538095_fa059df10f_b.jpg

On paper it was ideal, big comfy leather armchairs, cruise control and the 220 CDi lump so would have been pretty economical. In true W210 it was a touch rough around the edges but for a bag of sand I knew I couldn't be fussy. However before long (realistically, probably the day after we collected it) these were the scenes...

17346262131_3c1c8478c7_b.jpg

Probably poured over £400 into in trying to get it ready for the trip on stuff like two front springs, all new suspension bushes, thermostat, service parts etc and it just wasn't right for what I needed it for. Was a hell of a lot better than when I bought it but just wasn't keen on doing 3,000 miles in it, so cut my losses and got rid.

The other option for my trip was to go in my daily 190d

16726283403_eb53eeb20e_b.jpg

I'm currently doing 600 miles a week in the 190 and whilst I know it would do the trip easily without fail, I wanted something a bit quicker and after the fiasco with the W210 I was after something more special and in far better condition.

So the search continued and I looked at everything from W203s like my old one, couple of W124 300Ds etc and just couldn't find anything that I fancied.

Then out of nowhere the idea of the C43 came into my head, unsure where from but i've alway wanted one but never had chance due to insurance costs or budget. So that's what I decided would be the dream car for the trip, so I did some research on them, found a couple of options and eventually arranged insurance.

There was a silver one at Euro Performance that I really fancied but unfortunately missed out on that so began the hunt for another, and that's where my old man found what would become my car whilst randomly browsing auto trader.

The car looked pretty good in the photos, sensible mileage, a bit of a story (more on that later) and only half hour from the house which was ideal! Popped up to the sellers last weekend, a small family run outfit in Caldiot that mainly sells modern stuff but Peter one of the members of the family business has his own collection of classic and unusual stuff, and the C43 was one of those cars.

Bascially did the deal there and then as the car was absolutely perfect for what I was after. The car had very little use over the last couple of years so needed MOT and the seller wanted to give it a proper check over before it went. So after the longest week ever I picked it up yesterday evening.

Some of you might recognise the car (i found one of the previous owners on here), it's the original Mercedes UK launch / press car and was also featured in Mercedes Benz enthusiast in February 2010 apparently - If anyone has a spare copy of this issue i'd love to get a copy, I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

These are from last night after collecting it

17139055747_aaf9888c7d_h.jpg

17346125991_b78dbdaeb2_h.jpg

Drove it home yesterday and driven it a bit today and totally love it. I've had lots of cars but this is just feels something very special.

Weather wasn't the best today so had a little play about with it, including getting rid of the roof bars, which left this

17346103511_14f79917df_h.jpg

And gave the interior a once over

17346135151_c102f12747_h.jpg

17346517645_e631ae9ed7_h.jpg

16724035144_aa8be37869_h.jpg

From what i can see and feel the car needs nothing doing to it, it drives as good as new!

The seller has the original radio which he's going to dig out for me so i can get rid of the awful aftermarket one. Another thing I might do in the future is swap the 18s back to the original 17s if i can find a clean set of genuine ones. I'm also tempted to get the badges for the rear but am unable to find them for not ridiculous money so that might have to wait for now (any recommendations where I can find them let me know).

If anyone has anything or knows of anything relating to the cars press history, magazines, photos, articles etc please let me know as i'd like to build up a bit of a collection relating to it.

Apologies for the long post! If you're interested in following our trip visit Tom Newton and keep an eye on the blog, I plan on doing a daily update throughout the week. :thumb:

Last edited:
i would leave as is, keep the 18's, leave debadged, looks great!!!

Beautiful car in a fantastic colour.

Keep the wheels. They make the car look special.

+1 for keeping the 18's they not only look better on the 43 but they sharpened up the handling no end.
If they were any other version/style of gen MB AMG rims I would say get rid, but as they are the same style as the originals 17's and having had a 43 myself and resisted getting 18's for many years despite advice from other 43 owners that I should get them. I was always worried about the ride but I shouldn't have worried I should of put them on years before. These were the wheels MB should of put on it from the factory.
Lovely car by the way one of the best colour combinations too.

Looks absolutely stunning!!

I agree with the comments about the 18" wheels, the car looks really good on them, but if you do want to go for complete originality I have a set of genuine C43 wheels I'd consider selling.

Great Colour. Keep the Wheels :thumb:

Lovely car - great colour! Although reps the wheels look good and suit the car IMHO.

I miss my C43. If ever there was a car built for eating up the miles, it's this. Your road trip will be a blast, I guarantee!

Cheers,

Gaz

Great cars, loved all three I owned and still miss that old school V8 burble;

[YOUTUBE]PPZ_vywywLI [/YOUTUBE]

Yes my first experience of an AMG was a C43. You will never go back.

I did over 3000, miles around Spain and France, as mentioned you will eat up all those miles. Enjoy.

Congratulations lovely c43, hopefully you checked the underside for rust.

Put oem 17" alloys back on the car the ride is far far more refined.

That's lovely!

I'm planning on doing my road trip up and around Norway with something even older!...

This

20150420_142626_zps3gvrhxmx.jpg

I'm saving the SL for a trip down to hotter climates!

That a lovely rare car in a Designo colour and interior and really needs to be in original condition, re fit the original radio, buy new boot badges for Mercedes and re fit and get rid of those rep alloys and replace with the original AMG's, it will enhance the look and value of the car.

Beautiful car! Enjoy the trip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom