Over Active Parktronic Sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jumbojim

Car
CL500
Gentlemen
Is there any way that I can dampen down the sensitivity of my 2002 CL500's proximity sensors. They are always giving false warnings at the front. I have heard that painting both parts of the sensors might do the trick, but Mercedes says no it will just mess things up, can you guys offer any advice?

Thanks

when they start being over active, they are on their way out

I have had 2 pakrtronic sensor failures .. they first start detecting things that don't exist very ocassionally, frequency increases, sensor dies.

I don't know if it's true, but I was told that the sensors need to be kept clean, and once I gave them a clean the frequency of beeps seemed to lessen.

If the beeps annoy you too much, you can select the 'P Off' button on the dash. I think the P stands for Parktronic, but I like to pretend it stands for something else...it seems regional differences may not have been fully checked by MB before deciding on nomenclature :D

Last edited:
Problem with that is then you switch off the rear ones too... not very handy when parking! Though definitely a bonus if the front ones keep going off in start/stop traffic. Could toggle them on/off as needed, I guess.

Your point about them needing to be kept clean is pretty much on the head. In my previous car, an E61 BMW 520D, the sensors were often giving false alarms because of dirt building up (the roads on the IoM are terribly filthy, lots of farm traffic around and no real street cleaning service), and just wiping away dirt with my hand would usually do the trick.

Take some of whatever you normally use to clean the car to the bumpers all round, and see if that does the trick. I would imagine that painting over them would only make them worse.

Another route to check is if the lacquer is intact over them too. That would also set them off falsely.

And finally, if that's all coming up negative, then C240Sport97's point about them being on the way out is probably the best bet.

Thanks guys, that is good advice. I will take them out and thoroughly clean them, will post the results.

Jumbojim

A good wipe with a damp micro fibre cloth should do the trick. I'd be surprised if you don't see any improvement.

I pulled the plastic trim off and degreased / cleaned the Bosch sensors. Put it back together all in about 30 mins. WOW what a difference, the system works like a new one now. Thanks again to the guy who first said clean them.

Glad you managed to fix it. Amazing what a difference it makes eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom