P0444 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AaronE55Cripps

Car
W211 2004 E55 AMG
I have a 2004 W211 E55k with 105,000miles up on her and I've just had a recurring fault with this. It Happened last year and just happened again tonight. I can't remember what the previous fault was but MB said it wasn't P0444 related.

I was out for an easy cruise tonight not giving it any beans at all and my engine warning light popped on.

Plugging in my odb device and it threw out this code again. Has anyone seen this before - just wondering what might be causing it

Im not sure where its located but that code is linked to the evap system, it basically catches the fuel vapour in a canister and the purge valve controls the flow of gas into the inlet.

The point is to catch the vapour when you let off the throttle to avoid making the cabin smell.
As going from WOT to closed throttle shuts the injectors off so you get a wiff of fuel.
But yeah it'll be the purge valve itself or the cannister maybe?

Check make sure your petrol cap is sealed and working mind as sometimes strangely this error can occur if the petrol cap is not secured and the vapour is leaking out the tank.

The evap valve in these is behind the NS headlamp, on the crossmember next to the steering pump. Make sure your hose is still on the valve.

Looks like this:

MERCEDES-W211-E-CLASS-ENGINE-MOTOR-EGR.jpg_350x350.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

My concern is that this same fault came up before and the car went in to MB who diagnosed a different fault and supposedly repaired it. Now the same fault is recurring again according to my odb device.

The car drives perfectly however.

I'm just making me second guess everything. Is it the odb device giving a wrong code ? Or an electronic glitch in the cars system somewhere. Problem is that I don't completely trust the MB dealership either Thanks for your assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom