P1636 Electric suction fan open circuit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paragon1970

Car
Mercedes 2008 e280 | Audi TT
Hi Folks,

Sometime ago I had an accident whereby the car slipped of a trolley jack while jacking up from the front center jacking pad.

The jack slipped between the front of the engine smashing the fan housing into a number of pieces and pushing the coolant fan up out of the engine bay along with buckling the main coolant radiator.

I replaced the radiator myself with a new Nissens and wait for it, I collected all the broken pieces of the fan shroud and spent an evening glueing the thing together which appears to be a strong enough repair.

However my ODB reader keeps showing P1636 Electric suction fan open circuit.
I executed some tests. On start fan is off it kicks in around 95 degrees Celsius runs a while and then shuts off around 90ish these figures are rough guides but it does appear the fan kicks in and then stops around the temps it should.

I have checked the connections and they do appear to be OK.

One thing I would mention is that I need to drain the coolant system since I only filled it with water as a temporary solution so it does require antifreeze.
Could the fact that no antifreeze is in the system cause this code?
I know that seems strange to ask but I have seen some vehicles that measure resistance continuity of the coolant which differs between water and coolant mix.

Any advice would be most welcome.

SRG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom