1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

Packard-Bentley

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Satch, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Satch

Satch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    Some of you may have seen this but "insanity" does not even begin to cover it:

"Some 10 minutes after driving Chris Williams's Packard-engined Behemoth my hands were still shaking, my voice was croaking and the cool autumn wind was chilling my sweaty overalls.

My face was cherry red from the infernal heat of the engine and my eyebrows singed from its 24 flaming exhaust stubs. In my entire career I have never driven anything as visceral, as physical or as sheer bloody terrifying as Mavis, the 42-litre Packard-engined Bentley.

This is third outing for Mavis, the tribute to the pre-Second World War aero-engined giants that lapped the Brooklands outer circuit with the bravest of the brave behind their huge, string-bound steering wheels.

Williams built Mavis at weekends and evenings over the last seven years using a Bentley 8-litre chassis, with specially fabricated parts and a V12 Packard engine from an American Second World War motor torpedo boat."

Christmas road test: Packard-engined Bentley - Telegraph

Classic Packard-Bentley in pictures - Telegraph

Packard V12 4M-2500 engine in detail - Telegraph

4 people like this.
  2. MercFanUk

MercFanUk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    That's insane! I wish he'd given it the beans on a straight though :D (That said, I wouldn't like to try and stop it :crazy: )

3. BTB 500

BTB 500 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL500, 639 Vito 120 Dualiner Long, S203 C230 Avantgarde SE Sport
    At Sinsheim in Germany they have a 1908 chain-drive chassis with a 46 litre BMW V12 aero engine. Here being run up inside the museum - must have been deafening!

YouTube - Brutus spitting flames

And a mini documentary on it:

YouTube - Brutus

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. corned

corned Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    I remember someone putting a R-R Merlin in an old R-R chassis many years ago. At least he kept it in the family!

Ah - here we are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. BTB 500

BTB 500 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL500, 639 Vito 120 Dualiner Long, S203 C230 Avantgarde SE Sport
    That RR is lovely.