Packard-Bentley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Some of you may have seen this but "insanity" does not even begin to cover it:

"Some 10 minutes after driving Chris Williams's Packard-engined Behemoth my hands were still shaking, my voice was croaking and the cool autumn wind was chilling my sweaty overalls.

My face was cherry red from the infernal heat of the engine and my eyebrows singed from its 24 flaming exhaust stubs. In my entire career I have never driven anything as visceral, as physical or as sheer bloody terrifying as Mavis, the 42-litre Packard-engined Bentley.

This is third outing for Mavis, the tribute to the pre-Second World War aero-engined giants that lapped the Brooklands outer circuit with the bravest of the brave behind their huge, string-bound steering wheels.

Williams built Mavis at weekends and evenings over the last seven years using a Bentley 8-litre chassis, with specially fabricated parts and a V12 Packard engine from an American Second World War motor torpedo boat."

Christmas road test: Packard-engined Bentley - Telegraph

Classic Packard-Bentley in pictures - Telegraph

Packard V12 4M-2500 engine in detail - Telegraph

That's insane! I wish he'd given it the beans on a straight though :D (That said, I wouldn't like to try and stop it :crazy: )

At Sinsheim in Germany they have a 1908 chain-drive chassis with a 46 litre BMW V12 aero engine. Here being run up inside the museum - must have been deafening!

YouTube - Brutus spitting flames

And a mini documentary on it:

YouTube - Brutus

og06alfbrut24b.jpg

That RR is lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom