Paddle Shift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Moore

Car
2010 SLK 200K, Red, Sports Pack
I am currently searching for my next SLK 200/280, 2008 to 2010 model.
I've seen some 2010's with paddle shift and a great low mileage 200, 2008 without paddle shift, I really like the idea of having paddle shift and wondered:
could this be added by a garage ?
or would this be too difficult to add on ?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

I did it to my CLS , paddle shift wheel and coding to get it to work was all that was required.

Just make sure that the wheel you get uses the same airbag unit that the original wheel has , as it could start getting expensive. The rear of my airbag module had the connections for the shifters so it was just a matter of plugging in the paddle connections.

732660562_o_zps9d0cfb6a.jpg

A bit of homework will be required to check parts compatibility.

Kenny

Commandonline did the coding as i asked locally about getting it done but wasnt filled with confidence as to the abilities of garages that hadnt done the job before.

It was an 850 mile round trip but worth it to get it done properly.

Kenny

Do you have buttons already? - I swapped mine over for some E63 Paddles.

I've seen some 2010's with paddle shift and a great low mileage 200, 2008 without paddle shift, I really like the idea of having paddle shift
R171 SLK's with the paddle shift option have three modes for the gearbox: (C)omfort/(S)port/(M)anual. I believe that those without the paddle shift only have two modes: (C)omfort/(S)port, so if that's the case there may be some other coding required (and possibly a change to the gearbox mode selector) to allow selection of manual mode.

Once the coding has been done the C - S button will also put the gearbox into manual mode.

The car always starts in C mode , one press S and another press puts it in M as can be seen on the display.

Kenny

Once the coding has been done the C - S button will also put the gearbox into manual mode.

The car always starts in C mode , one press S and another press puts it in M as can be seen on the display.

Kenny

Yup, some people bother to change the gear surround so it shows CSM, some don't care :)

Richard

We have a SLK 55 AMG wheel with paddles here for sale.

63 plate SLK55 is above my budget ;-)
but thanks for mentioning it.
Merry Christmas

The wheel is a slk55 2005 car, its in the classifieds on here.

We do have a 171 350 for sale at £6000, it has paddle shifters stock.

I am currently searching for my next SLK 200/280, 2008 to 2010 model.
Sorry, I should have mentioned this before but if you're considering a 280 then you really ought to look at the 350 too as it has a better standard spec, better performance and no fuel economy penalty.

Are you saying the 350 is as economical as the 280 ?
I would expect 20 to the gallon ??
My current slk230 averages at 38 MPG.

Are you saying the 350 is as economical as the 280 ?
Yes, there's nothing in it. My wife's facelift 350 averaged a shade under 27mpg over 59,000 miles. It was quite easy to better 30mpg on long motorway runs, but squirting it about you could get it below 20mpg too.

The facelift 350 is a really nice car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom