Painting diamond cut slloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elbarry

Car
2013 e250 amg cabriolet tip
A titled, (well almost except from spelling of alloys ) can this be easily done. Not sure if I like the polished metal look of the diamond cut face wheels. I am considering getting a used set of 19 inch 7 spoke amg alloys and having them refurbished in a bright silver metallic finish. Thoughts...!

Just use an etching primer and the paint will stick fine.

A titled, (well almost except from spelling of alloys ) can this be easily done. Not sure if I like the polished metal look of the diamond cut face wheels. I am considering getting a used set of 19 inch 7 spoke amg alloys and having them refurbished in a bright silver metallic finish. Thoughts...!

Paint will possibly have the same problems on the diamond cut face as happens with the clear coat.

Best is to have them powder coated. I have the turbine wheels on my 55 done in "black chrome" - it looked brilliant and lasted. I used this company Alloy wheel refurbishment and repair - Quality refurbished wheels - branches all over the place & if time is an issue to you, their normal service is same day

I also had my diamond cut Ankaa's powdered and it was durable.

It's a bit of a problem when trying to sort out inevitable kerb rash, but no more than the original polished finish.

Etch primed wet paint will stick to alloy a lot better than powder coat or lacquer...because it's an etch primer... ;)

Etch primed wet paint will stick to alloy a lot better than powder coat or lacquer...because it's an etch primer... ;)

Without becoming too involved in semantics, your point is correct if the underlying alloy is left as was and powder coat attempted, however the company / process I cited dips the entire wheel in an acid etch first so you end up with a clean surface & a much thicker coat of "colour" than you would do with any paint.

Acid etch and powder coat, had 2 sets of diamond cut done like this perfect result everytime, this is what I will do when my Brabus Monoblocks get beyond re cutting to their diamond finish. £45 per wheel around here for powder coating 18" :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom