Painting exrerior wood trim - anyone know about paint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Been putting it off but it's time to bite the bullet before winter & paint some outside wood trim that's looking shabby.

White gloss, faces W. so catches most of the weather, AFA prep goes I'm going to sand it & scrape off the loose, flaky paint.

Undercoat or not? Any particular kind or brand better than the next? Any deals anywhere?

TIA.

You'll need to spot prime at the very least where it is down to wood.

If it gets a lot of weather , I'd be tempted to undercoat the whole thing first.

Only use good quality paint , Dulux Weathershield is what I would use. Not cheap , but with paint you get what you pay for.

The best thing I can say when you are painting is to be 'confident' putting it on , don't spread the paint too much and don't lose your wet edge or you will end up with 'dry' patches.

For exposed wood, after the prep, there are oil based wood primers available - better than the more "diy" water based tat.

There are also specific exterior glosses available too - not a lot of people know that.

The only advice I can give is that if Druk gives you any advice on this - ignore it.
He's useless at painting wood.
I would definitely be following Howard and Developers advice, and stress that it is the preparation that really matters.

Replace with uPVC?

Sandtex 10 year satin finish is what I've just used on my front door and frame. If applied according to instructions, it's guaranteed to last 10 years. Watch this space in 10 years' time and I'll let you know if it lived up to expectations. :)

The only advice I can give is that if Druk gives you any advice on this - ignore it.
He's useless at painting wood.
I would definitely be following Howard and Developers advice, and stress that it is the preparation that really matters.

However...if Druk gives advice on complaining then you should listen. Just got £200 compensation from the paint company for missing instructions on tinny.

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Eat your heart out Ted. :p

Did the job this w/e & must say the result looks great!

Sanded & scraped, 2 undercoats & a good thick layer of the final gloss & now hopefully I can ignore it for another 7 or 8 years.

Thanks for all the tips & advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom