Park on drive , or not ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeeCee

Car
Amg c63s coupe w205, VClass V250, Golf r32, Landrover defender
Hi

I have a c63s coupe on the way for 1st September

I live in London , I have a driveway on quite a busy road, house has CCTV and alarm which we put on at night etc

Car will be insured and will get gap insurance

My wife is worried about parking the car on the drive in case we get targeted for a robbery where somone forces there way in and threatens our family.

Personally I think this sort of thing could happen anywhere and I would
Prefer the convienience of parking on the drive . Not worried if car gets stolen - that's what insurance is for but obviously don't want to get our home invaded

Obviously family first - I have 4 daughters between 8 and 3 years old - but is my wife worrying too much , or conversely am I not taking it seriously enough

Essentially should I park my car round the corner on the road ( plenty of nice cars inc two other amgs)

Any opinions gratefully received !

Thanks

How long have you been married?

You might have realised that the answer is to do whatever she says, you can guarantee that if you park in the drive against her wishes that it will end in tears.

If someone specifically wants your car, they will watch to see where you live and will go for the keys regardless if you park on the drive or not. ot a nice thought but it's true.

Stick it on the drive and enjoy it as much as you can.

How long have you been married?

You might have realised that the answer is to do whatever she says, you can guarantee that if you park in the drive against her wishes that it will end in tears.

Lol - been together 20 years , married 10 - I know what your saying but it not specifically against her wishes , she's just voiced a concern...

If someone specifically wants your car, they will watch to see where you live and will go for the keys regardless if you park on the drive or not. Not a nice thought but it's true.
^ This.

The reality is that people who are willing to commit robbery to steal a car are not just opportunist tea leaves, they're nicking something specific and will know where it's parked (or garaged) and where the driver lives. In that sense you're a potential target anyway, so why have the extra hassle of parking it in the street where some idiot will reverse into it or key it while walking past it?

Congratulations - lovely choice of car.

Park it where it is convenient.

If "they" want it - make it easier for them. Keys near the entry door, not so that they can be fish-rod'd but close enough that should the "worst" happen, simply reach for them and hand them over.

To be fair - the wife is not wrong (when are they ever:doh:).

I used to park in my drive when I lived in a house with no issues. Once I got married and moved into my flat we have quite tight on street parking, so I park my C63 around the corner on the main road. The house i parked outside that night got broken into. Not sure if it's related. I'd park in drive personally unless on street parking is not too cramped

On drive and get the old fashion steering lock on it (the big yellow thing, Disclok) as visual deterrent ,slow em down, put em off .
Safer on drive from mindless morons who may target it for vandalism.
I would dread parking such a car on the main road.

Maybe beef up the home security to keep her mind at risk? Having the house alarm set at night and CCTV should be a good deterrent but maybe fitting some extra deadlock providing you don't already have that done might help?

On drive and get the old fashion steering lock on it (the big yellow thing, Disclok) as visual deterrent ,slow em down, put em off .

How's that going to help if the only way they can steal the car is to kick your door in and put a knife to your throat? You're going to hand over keys to the car and the lock.

All a big stupid yellow disc lock is going to do is encourage them as they'll think you're likely very old and sticking to old habits.

Maybe beef up the home security

I recommend these guys

thumb.php
thumb.php
thumb.php

Always switched on, react without hesitation, instil fear in anyone when going nuts and don't give a **** about your robber's knife or bat.

... and will be the happiest thing on earth when you arrive home from work. :D

Last edited:
I would say if they are thinking of a home invasion they'll be picking on homes where they expect a lot of high value, easily transported items to be there ie expensive watches, jewellery etc. IMHO for that they will be looking at large homes worth 10's millions with multiple high value vehicles, a household where the owners are likely to leave 100k watches on the sideboard, diamond necklaces by the bed and lots of cash.

I'm currently in a similar predicament to the OP, though in a much quieter area.

My W212 E63 used to always get parked in my secure garage but the insurance company have now stated that my little 190E has to live there instead, which leaves me no option but to leave the new E Class on the drive.

I have security lighting and cameras installed, also having a telescopic post fitted this week, but still don't fancy the idea to be honest. As mentioned above, if they want it, they'll just break in and get the keys. All the above will do is slow them down a bit.

I can't extend the garage as I don't have the space, a car port won't fit as it's a hipped roof bungalow which is too low, so I may just fit another set of free standing doors to slow them down, or at least put them off a bit.

A dog would not work in my circumstances as, whilst liking them, I just don't have the time for the attention they demand and it wouldn't be fair to any dog.

I would say if they are thinking of a home invasion they'll be picking on homes where they expect a lot of high value, easily transported items to be there ie expensive watches, jewellery etc. IMHO for that they will be looking at large homes worth 10's millions with multiple high value vehicles, a household where the owners are likely to leave 100k watches on the sideboard, diamond necklaces by the bed and lots of cash.

I would say if they want the car, they wouldn't care less what the house was like.

Russ

Bigger issue is key cloning. Get an Autowatch ghost fitted and stick it on the drive

Safer on drive from mindless morons who may target it for vandalism.
I would dread parking such a car on the main road.

I think Should we get burgled and they have the keys I want them gone and my family safe asap , I don't want to slow them down !

Maybe beef up the home security to keep her mind at risk? Having the house alarm set at night and CCTV should be a good deterrent but maybe fitting some extra deadlock providing you don't already have that done might help?

Good advice but yes Done all that , had a new front door and frame built (extra thick ) and had three lock fitted to it and two shoot bolts and we also have a door entry system so we do t have to open the door to see who's there !

I recommend these guys

thumb.php
thumb.php
thumb.php

Always switched on, react without hesitation, instil fear in anyone when going nuts and don't give a **** about your robber's knife or bat.

... and will be the happiest thing on earth when you arrive home from work. :D

I love dogs , had a Dalmatian that lived to 16 years old but they need more time than I have and my kids are two young - great advice though!!

Unfortunately not - mates m50 BMW got knicked recently and his house is not on the 10mil category. They just came for then car and left when thy had it

I'm currently in a similar predicament to the OP, though in a much quieter area.

My W212 E63 used to always get parked in my secure garage but the insurance company have now stated that my little 190E has to live there instead, which leaves me no option but to leave the new E Class on the drive.

I have security lighting and cameras installed, also having a telescopic post fitted this week, but still don't fancy the idea to be honest. As mentioned above, if they want it, they'll just break in and get the keys. All the above will do is slow them down a bit.

I can't extend the garage as I don't have the space, a car port won't fit as it's a hipped roof bungalow which is too low, so I may just fit another set of free standing doors to slow them down, or at least put them off a bit.

A dog would not work in my circumstances as, whilst liking them, I just don't have the time for the attention they demand and it wouldn't be fair to any dog.

Lovely cars btw ! I think though should they have my keys i want them gone and not mucking about with posts personally , a long time ago (15 years maybe we got burgled when we were in bed in our old house and I lost my head and confronted them and chased them out of the house. I'm a bit older and a bit wiser and obviously having kids in the house changes everything so in the nightmare senario I should it happen i want it over as paecauflly and quickly As possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom