parking sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
At the GTG yesterday I was asked if my car had been reliable. I answered "yes" and that of course has tempted the fates!

The parking sensors have gone haywire:

In either reverse or forward the alarm and sensor goes off with 2bar up on engaging gear if I'm near something. No distance changes. The sensor turns itself off after about 15secs and the off light is then showing on the centre console;same both front and back. I have cleaned the round sensors on the bumper but to no avail

Any ideas?:confused:

If the system shuts itself off then its gonna be a fault with the car but just to be sure does this happen wherever you take the car (pneumatics near by can drive it mad).

Otherwise your probably looking at a sensor, a DAS should give you an idea.

At the GTG yesterday I was asked if my car had been reliable. I answered "yes" and that of course has tempted the fates!

The parking sensors have gone haywire:

In either reverse or forward the alarm and sensor goes off with 2bar up on engaging gear if I'm near something. No distance changes. The sensor turns itself off after about 15secs and the off light is then showing on the centre console;same both front and back. I have cleaned the round sensors on the bumper but to no avail

Any ideas?:confused:

This sounds like a module fault, if the rear lights up when in D then could be a water issues its right under the water leak area

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=230467&M=112%2E973&GA=722%2E644&GM=716%2E670&CT=F&cat=65P&SID=82&SGR=610&SGN=22

Malcolm,on another thread you wrote:

The sensor face resonates at 22khz with paint on the face it cant, its OK to paint the outer ring but not the center

Could I have put too much wax polish on the bumper?:confused:

The 2 bar up audible warning on seems to be a common problem when things go wrong with the system,

PS took a look around the control unit area and no signs of damp

Malcolm,on another thread you wrote:

The sensor face resonates at 22khz with paint on the face it cant, its OK to paint the outer ring but not the center

Could I have put too much wax polish on the bumper?:confused:

The 2 bar up audible warning on seems to be a common problem when things go wrong with the system,

PS took a look around the control unit area and no signs of damp

I'm not Malcolm but if i can give that question a shot.

I think you would be hard pressed to get enough wax onto them to cause the problem.

I'm not Malcolm but if i can give that question a shot.

I think you would be hard pressed to get enough wax onto them to cause the problem.
And I am not Dan:D My reason for saying that its the control I think is because the sensors go into the input side, and I cant see how a sensor can turn on both displays.
As my car is out I will just take a peep at mine, as I have never looked back when going forward, and do not look forward to going back, I will post again in a bit

haha.

I wasn't dis-agreeing with you mate, my post was just about the wax being the problem.

From reading thru the other threads on this subject it would appear trhat STAR could tell if it was a sensor or the control. I will see who has a STAR near me.

Thanks for all your input. I will wait for tomorrow to see if the problem goes away ( some hope, but they do sometimes) and if not take the above Star route.

By the way when I came home yesterday from the GTG, as I raised my hood I opened the glove box at the same time to stow something and the hood froze. Switch off ignition and then on and it's worked OK since....another electrical mystery?:eek: Cant reproduce that fault so its at least one thats gone away!:bannana:

From reading thru the other threads on this subject it would appear trhat STAR could tell if it was a sensor or the control. I will see who has a STAR near me.

Thanks for all your input. I will wait for tomorrow to see if the problem goes away ( some hope, but they do sometimes) and if not take the above Star route.

By the way when I came home yesterday from the GTG, as I raised my hood I opened the glove box at the same time to stow something and the hood froze. Switch off ignition and then on and it's worked OK since....another electrical mystery?:eek: Cant reproduce that fault so its at least one thats gone away!:bannana:

Always take off the neg the battery for 5 mins, there are no problems in doing this on your car, see if it re sets

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of Mercedes-Benz electrics :D

Always take off the neg the battery for 5 mins, there are no problems in doing this on your car, see if it re sets

Just for the record unfortunately this did not work.Thanks anyway.

Awaiting call from MB...and waiting,and waiting,and waiting.....:rolleyes:

And the call came!,MB Oxford are going to do a STAR test to see whats what tomorrow at no charge. Now thats good enough to put on the Forum!!:bannana:

(well it was only serviced 10 days ago):rolleyes:

Last edited:
It certainly is,, if you take out the plug for the front and then rear sensor you will have the answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom