Parking ticket advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I stayed at friend's in September last year, who lives in a cul de sac, which is a residents' permit area, the bays being duly signed and marked, as per the pics below. I parked overnight outside of the marked bay areas, on a bit of road with no signage or road markings, which I assumed was for visitors. A ticket was issued for non display of permit at 8.30 am the following day.

I submitted an informal online rejection at the time, according to the ticket, and heard nothing more. I assumed that was the end of the matter, but came home earlier this week to a letter, sent at the end of January, saying my rejection had been dismissed, and I had another two weeks discretional grace to settle the ticket at half price, ie £35. I've missed that window by being away, but now have to wait for an official "notice to owner" letter, before I can appeal officially.

I'd be interested in any opinions (not about the Skoda!!! - I'd just bought it and was trying it out!) or legal tips/advice please.

sign_zps89311a6a.jpg
IMG_1099cr_zps0cc0d16b.jpg

Join up and post over at PePiPoo. There are lots of real experts on parking enforcement over there and they will quickly advise if you have any options other than pay up.

There was a great program on the other day about this sort of thing - they rely on your compliance to get their extortion.

challenge it. There is an independent body that will hear each and every case, and is impartial. On the program, they held up the car driver more often than the council^h^h robbing bastids.

I had a parking ticket issued once, with a date that was before the car was built! I was told (in writing) that the date made no difference, and that I had to pay - it got laughed out.

As above. Challenge it. Have a look on pepipoo some great help there.

I think I can see some eye holes cut into one of the purple bins. They hide everywhere these wardens.

Is the "ticket" from a private parking company or from the council ?
If its a private company ( and I use one to control parking in my private road) then you have choices. The most popular is to completely ignore all correspondence as it isnt worth their while pursuing you through the courts. Option two is to contact the management company for the road putting forward your case especially if you were visiting a resident.
Were there more warning signs than in your pic ?
If its a council ticket then there must be signs or yellow lines for it to be enforceable.
My money is on it being a private scheme which I would ignore.

If the ticket is for non-display of a permit you're fine - you weren't in a bay so it is unenforceable. How to deal with it is another matter

Easy to beat that. It'll never go to a tribunal, the council will fold.

The arrow on the sign indicates to me at least that the residents only restriction applies to the bays on the right.

Absent any other signage or parking restriction on the area where you were parked, suspect you have the pleasure of a ticket from a minimum wage random ticketing numpty.

Is this a civil parking enforcement notice or one from the local authority?

Looking at the picture the bay/area is marked just in front of the Focus, on the sign there is an arrow clearly indicating to the right which i would assume are the bays/area that the sign is for.

From what i can see there are no yellow lines or signs to show parking restrictions where you were parked?

PS Nothing wrong with the Octavia :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, guys. Had a quick look on pepipoo, but won't register at this stage.

Were there more warning signs than in your pic ?
If its a council ticket then there must be signs or yellow lines for it to be enforceable.

It was a Liverpool Council ticket, and I may have thrown it, it was so long ago now. The first picture shows the entrance to the cul de sac, which is a J shaped area, with a "courtyard" behind the properties on the left further down. I am parked at the far end, on the right. My friend lives at the base of the J, which is raised and takes you through to a little square area, where the Permit holders only sign is prominently displayed on either side. I am outside of and opposite that area.

entrance_zps77ab67c4.jpg

These pictures are taken from the kerb, where my car is parked, looking over to the courtyard where the street finishes, at the base of the J. The only other sign I could see was further up, on my side of the street, within the marked bays, stating Resident Permit Holders Only.

permitarea_zps7f3c5f52.jpg
sign2_zpse97fe5de.jpg

I'm fairly certain this is the work of an over zealous warden!

As above...you did nothing wrong.

If the arrow hadn't been on the sign, then they could argue that the whole area was covered...but they put an arrow on.

What was the clause describing the offense?

The second set of pictures shows single yellow line all over the place.

The first picture is not 100% clear but is seems there's no single yellow line.

In short, in Controlled Zones, where there's single yellow line, the parking restrictions apply at the same hours as the residents parking restrictions.

I am wondering if the offense was parking on single yellow line during restricted hours?

I wouldn't worry about the parking ticket Mike, just make sure your stereo is still in the car :D

If there was a single yellow line, were there warning signs either at the entrance or nearby?
Looking at the the shot of the entrance to the cul-de-sac it appears that there may be a yellow sign on the left hand lamp post.

nowaiting2_zps9b62762b.jpg

nowaiting_zps2f4902b5.jpg

No lines, hence my confusion. I suspect there were lines there that have eroded, or someone's nicked the paint!

Ray, the old joke is about the two lads who offered to look after the car for a fiver. I said there's a rotweiller in the car that can do that. They asked "what's he like at putting fires out?!"

nsr_zps4fd0a94d.jpg

nsf_zps03e0f626.jpg

What was the clause describing the offense?

12s Parked in a residents or shared use parking place without clearly displaying either a permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place.

Ther are no pay and display machines in the street.

@ Grumpy! Mike, the lamp post has a laminated bit of A4 tied to it, the yellow bits are numbers, I guess to identify the post.

Last edited:
The last couple of tickets i've had (one in residents permit area, the other in shopping centre car park) i've written a letter explaining that I am aware the ticket was issued correctly however I am unemployed, facing hardship or something else and was wondering if they could take that into account. Both times i have received letters back stating as an act of goodwill they will revoke the ticket.

Previously I would try and contest the validity but never got anywhere, seems to make them just dig their heels in.

Maybe worth a try ?

If there is no evidence of paint in the entire section you parked in then this, in my opinion, would be the area of contestation. There was no signage to indicate the area to the left of the arrowed Resident's Area was subject to restrictions.

It could be reasonably argued that the council should be as vigilant in ensuring that the correct restrictions were clearly displayed as they are in metering out punishments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom