Paul Gascoigne (not a football post!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Nothing other than a purely-observational post (I know nothing about football and have no interest in it anyway).

Saw these pictures of him today - cannot believe the toll all that drink and those drugs have taken:

Paul Gascoigne 'in hospital facing homelessness after drinking binge' | Mail Online

To think the guy is 47. I can't help thinking even with help the end is nigh - even with help.

It's very sad to see him likes this and I'm afraid you may be right. A flawed genius

He is renting a place not far from me..........but in the posh area:D

Huge shame that drink has ruined his life and he appears on a downward spiral. Hopefully he takes up Harry Redknapp's offer of a job coaching the youngsters at QPR. I do fear he will become another statistic sooner than later though.:(

I read he was evicted but turns out not - could be the same place?

The director of the management company in charge of the flats where Gascoigne has been living today dismissed claims he is being evicted, but said his landlord was not renewing the rental contract.

Christopher Eales, 84, said: 'The only thing I can tell you is that he has not been asked to leave.

'His lease will run out on September 13 and the landlord will not be renewing the contract as he wants the flat back.'

And yet I'm sure I read a day or two ago he signed with Bournemouth to play again - which was a little odd - and found it again just now.

Not sure what's going on there...

Hopefully he takes up Harry Redknapp's offer of a job coaching the youngsters at QPR

Agreed, he needs a reason to be sober or he's in real trouble.

-t

Very sad. Hope he can turn his life around. Hopefully Harry Redknapp will have the patience needed to give him a step up.

Oh dear...

2:50pm Friday 22nd August 2014
FOOTBALL legend Paul Gascoigne is reported to be in Poole Hospital after being found slumped outside his Sandbanks flat yesterday.
(Bournemouth Daily Echo)

Nothing changes.:wallbash:

I guess that was covered by OP,I also heard today on local radio that his daughter is appealing for
people to stop saying cruel things about her father,I guess Paul has not bottomed out enough yet
and until such times has no chance of recovery.

The man is a bloody nuisance and an embarrassment and will let anybody down that tries to help him,
helping him gives him the green light to carry on.To those that care about him now is the time for hard love.

Last edited:
The brightest lights shine only briefly. A real shame.
Shame on those who misjudge

The man is a bloody nuisance and an embarrassment and will let anybody down that tries to help him,

The Man isn't a "bloody nuisance" he's ill

The damage was done in is teens and early adult life when he mixed with the wrong crowd, who he felt the need to emulate or go one better - if he had exerted some self-discipline and not self-indulged to excess, would he be in this position now? Unfortunately, there are so many who go the same way, both those in the public eye (George Best, Oliver Reed etc. - the so-called 'hell-raisers') and others who are not. There are countless sayings that spring to mind - as you sow, so shall you reap; what goes around, comes around; karma. It is distressing to see but could have been avoided if he had chosen a different path. I don't mean to come across as holier than thou - I thank God that when temptation was put in my way, I looked the other way. There but for the grace of God etc.........
Apologies to those who might be offended but it's just my opinion.

Unfortunately it is a illness not a life style choice, although you would think that with his money and I believe some football stars who payed for him to detox he would of seen the light of day after being through all the top clinics it's a shame but until he reaches rock bottom I don't think he will change george best after all had a liver transplant and that was still not enough for him to knock the drinking on the head ? wheres curies Evans now to help his mate (that should of said chris) although I do fancy a curry now and some beer

Last edited:
I'm undecided about alcohol addiction being an illness.

Without doubt it's a terrible thing, just not entirely convinced it's an illness.

I'm undecided about alcohol addiction being an illness.

Without doubt it's a terrible thing, just not entirely convinced it's an illness.

The early stages of the route there isn't an illness. Once you're at the stage those pictures would appear to suggest Gazza's at it has become one.

I speak as someone who lost a close family member to alcoholism.

The Man isn't a "bloody nuisance" he's ill

Yes to a degree,but an illness of his own choice,as addictions can be
beaten if the alcoholic/addict really wants to,and this decision is normally
taken when rock bottom is hit.So he continues to be a bloody nuisance to
all around him until such times,after all a person driven by alcohol or drugs can't be relied on.

I know he's ill & I know alcohol has caused his illness, I'm just not sure that being an alcoholic is an illness.

I used to be addicted to cigarettes. Was I ill?

Yes to a degree,but an illness of his own choice,as addictions can be
beaten if the alcoholic/addict really wants to,and this decision is normally
taken when rock bottom is hit.So he continues to be a bloody nuisance to
all around him until such times,after all a person driven by alcohol or drugs can't be relied on.

Bollicks
Addictions are beaten by the mind unfortunately some people are stronger than others and some are weaker than others and it looks like PG is in the weaker catagory. He's had the best help money can buy over the years but to no avail

Such a sad sight to see one of the greatest players to ever pull on an England shirt in such a sorry state.

And, like the passing of Robin Williams, it goes to show that some of those with an extraordinary talent also have to suffer their own demons.

I hope he 'gets better' but there seems to be an air of inevitability about the path he's on.

Money can't buy you a cure,of course you have to beat it mentally,rock bottom is
not a place you can visit,it's a mental state from which recovery is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom