Payslips by email

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

area51

Car
A160 Avantgarde
I have just been informed by my employer that from March they will no longer issue paper payslips.

They wish to send payslips by email instead. I've not heard of this before, can they do this, is it legal?

I have just been informed by my employer that from March they will no longer issue paper payslips.

They wish to send payslips by email instead. I've not heard of this before, can they do this, is it legal?

Perfectly legal, and the employer benefits by being a bit greener, no paper costs, no printing costs, no postage costs etc.

..and you benefit by having a transactional record on email(providing you don't delete them)

Can't think of any reason why not.
What's the problem?

Last payslip I received in paper format was around 2000.

Look at it this way, much easier to keep record of it in email or cloud storage format instead of storing slips that deteriorate over time.

No particular problem as such, just that I've not heard of this before, it seems that I am worrying about nothing (again).

Print a copy each month and you will then have both an electronic and a paper version.

My previous employer did this... I've been trying to get my current employer to do this as well as it's so much easier.

We get both, the online version is available the day before payday while the paper copy usually turns up the day after.

With the advent of auto enrollment many employers have been collecting email addresses for all employees so as to more easily keep them informed (as they must) of issues to do with the pension scheme.

Having such a data base now allows them more easily to transmit all sorts of info, not the least of which is payslips. The cost saving on a monthly basis can be huge.

had emailed payslips for years now, I just chuck them in a folder on my email and forget about them.

The only negative, If you need to prove income for mortgage or something, you may need to print and get stamped with a official company stamp.

As others said, very common practice.

However they should really use password-protected ZIP or Acrobat files, with each employee having his/her own unique password.

Payslip are considered confidential and email messages do tend to go around, and also be seen by IT staff on occasion etc (i.e. if payslips are sent to corporate email address).

If only mine were emailed. I have to log onto a secure website to get at mine. So secure that I often can't view them.

Email is not a secure media transfer and why my employer doesn't use it, we have to log into a secure website for ours but currently if you still want a hard copy pay slip you can request one from your employer and they can't refuse.

Email is not a secure media transfer and why my employer doesn't use it, we have to log into a secure website for ours but currently if you still want a hard copy pay slip you can request one from your employer and they can't refuse.

Attaching a payslip as an encrypted PDF, or emailing them out through an email encryption gateway (e.g. PGP Web Messenger) would be solutions...

M.

Attaching a payslip as an encrypted PDF, or emailing them out through an email encryption gateway (e.g. PGP Web Messenger) would be solutions...

M.

I agree and personally and cant see the problem all my corporate internal email is encrypted anyway so presumably a payslip would fall under this encryption.

The bizarre thing with our system is if you go in and view the PDF you get the option to email it, so why dont they just mail it in the first place :doh:

Do employers have to offer an alternative to email payslips ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom