PC to monitor - use DVI or HDMI cable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Is there any preference between DVI and HDMI when connecting a monitor?

My new PC has both as outputs, and the monitor has both as input types (and VGA). Monitor came with a VGA lead plus DVI adapter, which works but is obviously not ideal!

Going to pop out at lunchtime to get a new lead but wasn't sure whether HDMI was better than DVI or not.

Monitor doesn't have internal speakers so audio isn't an issue. Max resolution is 1920x1080.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance!

my personal preference is DVI, when i've connected via hdmi the image is a little harsher. hard to describe but a difference.

I believe that HDMI is really only a good idea when the screen is over 24inches, any smaller and you see the aggressive overscan, which results in a harsher image (close up).

Buy sub £10 HDMI lead and compare the two types of cable and opt for the one you prefer.

Argos were selling HDMI cables for £4.99 recently .

I use DVI on my 26" iiyama monitor and am very happy with it ( chose it in preference to the 30" Apple cinema display which is a fortune more expensive and looks 'flat' in comparison ) .

Interestingly - I use both at the same time.
I have 2x monitors of the same manufacturer & model, side by side. One is DVI the other HDMI and I can't tell a difference between them.

Explanation; 2x 24" HD monitors connected to my PC's twin video outputs. Split desktop you see :)
The 'main' monitor goes from the PC to my Onkyo AV amp (so I get 5.1 surround from the PC).
The second monitor goes straight from the DVI to the monitor.

I honestly can't tell a difference.

(background info; I do it this way 1) to get the 5.1 sound through a single HDMI cable, 2) so that I can switch the PS3 through a second HDMI port on the amp. If I do this then I get the PS3 on the main monitor and the PC automatically switches its' main output to the DVI port - so I get PS3 AND the PC on separate monitors. Sweet).

Many thanks for the advice guys. It's a 24" monitor.

I will probably get a DVI lead then ... thinking about it I may already have a cheap HDMI lying around somewhere which I can compare it with if nesc.

In December 2010, Intel, AMD, and several computer and display manufacturers announced they would stop supporting DVI-I, VGA and LVDS-technologies (i.e., IEEE 1394/Firewire) from 2013/2015, and instead speed up adoption of DisplayPort and/or HDMI.[7] They also stated: "Legacy interfaces such as VGA, DVI and LVDS have not kept pace, and newer standards such as DisplayPort and HDMI clearly provide the best connectivity options moving forward. In our opinion, DisplayPort 1.2 is the future interface for PC monitors, along with HDMI 1.4a for TV connectivity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Interesting about IEEE 1394/Firewire ... I was told that it's not possible to have a Firewire card in my new PC, so I'm counting on having an old PC tucked away somewhere purely to capture video from my Sony DV camcorder ... until that gets replaced (which I'm in no rush to do).

HDMI will also carry the audio signal, so if the screen has built-in speakers (i.e. a TV) than it's a no-brainer?

Yup, no speakers in this monitor though.

I did actually end up getting an HDMI lead in the end. Reason being that I can then leave a DVI lead plugged in, to hook up to my work laptop when I need to use that at home. Well, once I get my VPN access problems sorted out - but that's another story! :D

DVi and HDMI are signal compatible, at least in video terms. HDMI also carries audio, as mentioned.

DVI is available in 2 flavours, single and dual link. Single link will work for full HD video (i.e. 1920 x 1080), for higher resolutions dual link is necessary. I'm lucky enough to have a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor on my desk at work and it needs a dual link graphics card/cable.

I've no idea why you couldn't put a Firewire card into your new PC - unless Firewire support has been dropped in Windows 7. Having said that, I can't remember the last time I used a Firewire peripheral.. USB2 kind of killed it off..

Cheers,

Gaz

I think there are some known incompatibilities between Win7 and Firewire. Having said that, Sony say my Camcorder's iLink (Firewire) is tested on Win7 32 and 64 bit :dk:

Re. single vs dual DVI-D there's conflicting info. out there. Some vendors say that the practical limit for single channel cable is 1280x1024 (60 Hz)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom