Petrol Additives (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
My car has done 92,000 miles and I thought it's innards might benefit from some pampering. I bought a bottle of STP Petrol Additive and used half a bottle on each of two consecutive tanks of petrol. The result was I think my mpg may have improved a little but the car seems quieter and smoother??

Spurred on by my successes with the first bottle of additive I went back to get a second bottle. It was then I realised that I'd used Petrol additive for carb cars and there was a actually a different STP for injection cars. I've bought one for injection cars and yesterday added the first half bottle to the next tank of petrol.

This morning I drove it for the first time and thought that the idle was fluctuating slightly and that the car may have slightly shuddered on pulling away once on my journey. Has anyone else used these additives and are my symptoms just the car getting cleaned out?

Many thanks

This is pure psychology.

This kind of snake oil would be added by castrol et al if it was that good.

Your car is fine and you mind is playing tricks!

You could be right but then Shell reckon that their premium fuels have lubricants, detergents etc etc....

STP fuel additive has little in the way of benefits. The only additives I've ever used that are worth the cost are Forte and Millers

Clean your car, it will drive better and faster too! :D

It does !!!!!

Mine is very sluggish at the mo , but then i haven't cleaned it in 2 1/2 months .... it's punishing me !

My car had done around the same mileage and on the basis of the above advice I will continue to clean it regularly and leave the rest alone!

Mercedes USA recommends the use of Chevron Techron every few thousand of miles to keep the injectors clean.

Most tier 1 petrol uses this additive.

Below is from Mercedes Benz USA factory approved service products.
UK should have a similar factory bulletin

"Engine Product Name/Part Number
[FONT=CorpoS,CorpoS][FONT=CorpoS,CorpoS]Fuel additive for gasoline engines [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=CorpoS,CorpoS][FONT=CorpoS,CorpoS]MB Part No. A000 989 25 45 12 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CorpoSDem,CorpoSDem][FONT=CorpoSDem,CorpoSDem](100 ml, 3.4 fl oz container) [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=CorpoS,CorpoS][FONT=CorpoS,CorpoS]Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CorpoSDem,CorpoSDem][FONT=CorpoSDem,CorpoSDem](588 ml, 20 fl oz container) "[/FONT][/FONT]

You could be right but then Shell reckon that their premium fuels have lubricants, detergents etc etc....

All decent fuels and oils have additives. But they know what they're doing.

Stear clear of additives i say!

All decent fuels and oils have additives. But they know what they're doing.

Stear clear of additives i say!

Having said that RBYCC is correct that MB recomend one these days...

I buy redex 2x per year when asda do their promotions.
I put two whole small bottles into one full tank which is overkill.
Total cost = £4 twice per year.

I've had Forte recommended also (though not yet tried it). The recommendation was every 6000 miles; does this sound about right?

I was reading the CL's Manual and they say not to use fuel additives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom