Petrol Smell inside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JustIgnore

Car
E55k
Hi.

I own an E55 for 2 months now and sometimes I smell very strong petrol odor inside the cabin.
I noticed that it happens when the car is in a stop and go traffic.
The first time it happened when the fuel was 3/4 full and yesterday it was 1/4 but I could still smell it.

I found out that there used to be a recall from MB to replace the sender unit(s) and/or the seal and in worst case the whole fuel tank!?

Anyways, I did contact MB in order to find out if my E55 has been recalled in the past and if this is something they cover and the following reply I got:

I have checked the system to see whether there is any outstanding recalls on your car and there is not.
We can make an appointment with one of our dealerships to take a look into the issue. You would be charged £120.00 for them to do so.
Based on the findings, there may be grounds for a goodwill gesture to be submitted to head office, but in all honesty I would highly doubt that it would be covered in full.

What do you guys reckon? I don't really wanna spend £120 only to diagnose the fault and then in worst case pay for a fuel tank replacement that may not be covered by their goodwill gesture?

May take it to an Indy...

There's nothing outside, no smell, no drops. It has to be the sender unit or the seal under the rear seat.
I am just hoping that this can be covered somehow as it was a reason for a recall..

Leaking /perished rubber fuel pipes, flex them to see if cracked/weeping

from tank>filter>pump is my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom