Photobucket Now Charging $399 Per Year for 3rd Party Hosting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's very stupid. So far nothing on my account and my photos of my restoration of Brunnhilde are unaffected here, but what a nightmare.

The other day they stopped any use of the site while I had an ad-blocker running. I can understand that, but this is monumentally silly.

Thanks for heads up Karl,

I stopped using photobucket about 18 months ago, as it became too tiresome to go through their stupid ads and pestering for a paid for account, but like you and many others, I have a lot of photos posted in numerous threads on this and other forums.

There's no way, realistically, all these can be re-hosted, I certainly won't be able to go through 1000+ posts on this forum alone, to check for images, in any case - old posts can't be edited.

What a monumentally cretinous decision - I'd imagine millions will stop using them altogether, rather than pay these extortionate fees. :doh:

For info the images aren't being deleted it's just the links on hosted sites such as here.

Ffs. Going to ruin 1000s if threads here alone :(

Just check all the threads on in my Sig.

This will bring an end to PB as I can't see many people forking that much out.

Same problem a few days ago on this and other forums I use.

Updated new signature pics from Flikr, but too much work to go through everything that has been posted in the past..............Goodbye PhotoMuppet!

Test image

I too stopped using photobucket last year, sooooo slow and as has been mentioned far to many intrusive ads.

I now use imgbb here https://imgbb.com super fast and super easy.

Looks OK except for the 16mb limit.

I'll transfer my photobucket pics to Flickr where I already have an account.
Google photos with its unlimited allowance is another alternative.

As Karl says, its really going to mess with previous posts once the link is gone.

Hopefully they turn back on their decision..

Saw this on my 968 forum, checked my most recent post on there with a PB photo link and the photo still shows, checked my Google Drive account but can't see a way on there to link a single photo into a thread. Don't (yet) have a flikr account or imgbb, but must look at them as, like many, I'm damned if I'll pay PB loads of dosh to allow me to add the occasional photo to a forum post!

Saw this on my 968 forum, checked my most recent post on there with a PB photo link and the photo still shows, checked my Google Drive account but can't see a way on there to link a single photo into a thread. Don't (yet) have a flikr account or imgbb, but must look at them as, like many, I'm damned if I'll pay PB loads of dosh to allow me to add the occasional photo to a forum post!

postimage.io

I don't think there is a way with Google, I tried this a while back and couldn't find how to do it. May have to try again

A business that developed its model on a free-to-user basis changes tack to charging an absolutely astronomical fee.

This is professional suicide.

I had photobucket pics in an ad on a bike forum. Not only do the pics no longer show in the ad, but the pics have been deleted from my photo library - and not by me. Not impressed. Time to find another supplier.

Amusing post about this on another car forum I frequent :

"I've sent a message to Photobucket....

Having just come across your change of terms and seen all my forum posts to help others now become defunct, I see your greed in the pricing policy for such hosting is abhorrent at best and is down right abusive of your customer base to whom you parade your multitude of adverts. It probably won't surprise you to learn that on the three forums I am active on this is being discussed in the non too pleasant terms to say the least and your audience for your advertisers is leaving you in droves and heading off to your competitors.
Well done Photobucket, you could have charged a nominal fee and kept customers but no your greed far exceeds your intellect.
Whilst I could drivel on in this vein for some time, I am quite sure the details herein will disappear into the ether never to see the light of day whilst you sit back drinking vending machine coffee waiting for the cash to roll in. Whether you reply or not, I couldn't care less - it is still far more satisfying for me to rattle on here at least feeling like I've brought some pain and discomfort to your consciences in the same measure as my anger and frustration at your latest changes. I'll just have to rattle in the same vein on other social media formats to at least gain some meaningful human contact to appease the annoyance.
You'll probably have finished your coffee by now and would rather move onto some juggling of testicles - a skill at which you are no doubt well practiced. If you feel like replying, please do but I would ask you await for me to rise and replace myself on my seat before I reply further.

I wonder if I'll hear back"

The $399 option is for 500GB unlimited account.

Yes and that's the only account that allows 3rd party linking.

I have had a photobucket account since 2004. I've now downloaded my photos and closed the account. Gave them a "robust" bit of feedback when asked why I was deleting the account :thumb:

Yes and that's the only account that allows 3rd party linking.

I have had a photobucket account since 2004. I've now downloaded my photos and closed the account. Gave them a "robust" bit of feedback when asked why I was deleting the account :thumb:

The 500 account allows image linking AND 3rd party hosting.
The 100 account allows image linking, $99/year

I've had a free Photobucket account for many years too. Still working at the moment too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom