Photobucket Now Charging $399 Per Year for 3rd Party Hosting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got the email this morning, downloaded the little (29Mb) I had on there - virtually all photos for "how to" threads on one of my car forums, then deleted the account leaving them a succinct message of my thoughts on what they've done. Now have to decide where to re-host the photos (just tried Google drive, where I put photos for sharing with family and friends) but could not link a photo into a forum from there. seen recommendations for Postimage.org and imghost.io so will have to try those.

I went with Imageshack; after the 1st month you need a subscription to upload new files, but if you stubbornly ignore their 'upgrade now' banners until your free trial has expired you'll get a half-price offer :)

And for me at least the £15 per year is well worth it for the quick / easy file upload, batched image URL retrieval and general hassle-free photo hosting. Also since it's not free-to-use I reckon they'll be less likely to pull the rug out from under you, Photobucket-style.

Is Google Photos the same as Google Drive? On Google Drive I have documents as well as photos.

No, Google Photos can show any images you have on Drive though. Photos is the successor to Picasso and dedicated to images and videos. Unlimited storage if you use the 'high quality' setting as opposed to 'original'

As far as I know, one has to be logged in to a Google service, to be able to see photos hosted by them.

That means those of us, who don't use Google, won't see the pictures.

Been using Imgur for past couple of weeks/months seems to be fine - my sig image has been hosted on there for ages.

Going to correct all my old threads - going to take an age :(

^ I have found Imgur a far better host and easier to navigate than Flickr too.
Photobucket is long dead for me.

And today all Postimg links are broken :(

Postimg.JPG

A change as simple as the TLD changing, but all links, structure etc remaining the same could be updated en mass in the database by the mbclub admins if they so wished.

Imgur doesn't appear to let you choose an image size on upload, as Postimg does? Automatic resizing is a huge time saver.

Imgur works tho ;)

Why wouldn't you set size before hand tho?

Why wouldn't you set size before hand tho?

Not sure what you mean? If I'm taking pictures with my camera and want to upload some, using Postimg you just specify what size you want and it resizes on upload. With others (Photobucket, Imgur) I would have to edit each picture and save a smaller version, prior to uploading.

Well, well, well.

Mainly due to general idleness (but also a degree of curiosity to see if there were further developments as time went on) I didn't delete my Photobucket free account when the 3rd-Party Hosting ransom saga started, so have continued to receive periodic begging emails from them telling me what a wonderful deal their $399 / yr package is if I want to use them for 3rd-Party Hosting. Then today, I receive another email from them saying that there's a Big Announcement about a limited time offer. So, clicky linky and what do I find? They're offering 10GB of photo hosting, with 3rd-Party Hosting, for $19.99 / year.

Following the FAQ link in the email reveals that:
Photobucket has new management, and we are liberating your images!

As of today, your hosted images are live.

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

Today, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs.

For a limited time, we are offering a new, competitive subscription package that includes ad-free storage and 3rd party image hosting for just $1.99 per month, or $19.99 per year - which is 95 percent less than the previous pricing model. A free subscription option will still be available to customers who do not require 3rd party image hosting.
It would seem that their high-handed ransom demand has rather backfired, and that they want to win back business. But will they? Or will people continue to stay away?

I wouldn't go back, even if they offer to pay me that $19.99 a year.

Sure, the flickr copy & paste requires a couple of extra steps (selecting and deleting most of the code string, apart from what's in img brackets), but I'm so used to it now, I do it almost without looking.

I wonder what happens to those that paid up the full asking (demand) price?

After all the disruption they have caused, not a chance would I give them the opportunity to store my photos. I can't trust them.

Reactions: GLK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom