Photochomic paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anglaslt

SUPPORTER
Car
LHD Brabus B63S (CL63 AMG) and RHD X3 M40i
Did MB ever offer photochromic paint, the paint that changes colour depending on the light and angle? I ask because today in Vilnius I saw a CL63 AMG in a green/purple colour. I know MG Rover offered it on their ZT/ZT-T V8 models but I rather suspect it's aftermarket, paint or wrap.

UK reg by the way. Anyone seen it before?

Yes a girl I used to work with in the late 90's had a photochromatic one

Unsure but 2 stand out colours that confuse people on MB cars are
  • Emerald Green
  • Tanzanite Blue
Both can look like black.

There were a number of designo options that changed colour depending on the viewing angle. Think they went under the name of Chromoflair. Very expensive option so not many were built I suspect.

Did MB ever offer photochromic paint, the paint that changes colour depending on the light and angle? I ask because today in Vilnius I saw a CL63 AMG in a green/purple colour. I know MG Rover offered it on their ZT/ZT-T V8 models but I rather suspect it's aftermarket, paint or wrap.

UK reg by the way. Anyone seen it before?

I don't think you can do it with a wrap - it's a lacquer system. TVR offered it (Chromaflair) on many of their later models. As an aside there were stories of Rovers being written off simply because of the cost of paintwork - you can only do an entire panel (in one go) with it ... it can't be repaired or touched in.

Easily achieved with Plastidip, this is one of my favs..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My experience of photochromic paint was a blue/gold Alfa Romeo GTV I borrowed from a dealer for the weekend, interested in the car but it was the only colour they had on a demonstrater. Crawling through traffic on the Sunday on the North Circular 5 times cars alongside us asked if we could help with any recreational pharmaceuticals. Decided photochromic paint was probably not right for the other half's car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom