Picked up an approved E350cdi estate today and the milage was out by over 60%!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
Collected my 10 plate 350cdi estate today, and the mileage was out by over 60% when I got in to drive off.

I got it at an excellent price mainly cause it doesn't have comand and it was sitting at just under 38,000 miles, well that is what I was told when I paid them for it.

Collected it today and had not seen it previously, bought it from a main dealer 200 miles away.

As I got in the car I went to the obc section where it tells me how many miles left in the tank, and noticed it said 155km.
Set the menu to Miles instead and suddenly the odometer read 23,000 instead of 37,000. :eek:

BONUS!!!! :thumb:

I am pretty amazed that the previous owner, the guy who bought it, the service department and the guy who sold it me all missed this!

They even said that they could not find the second service on the electronic service history, but knew the car from new as they sold it and it was show it was still not due when it came in???!! Well that will be why!!

Although they did do a typical 40k mile 2 year service with an invoice for £1050 anyway.

All in all a pretty good buy I reckon.

(or out by 40% if you work backwards I guess?)

Last edited:
Oh, and I did tell the sales guy.

He just said "Well if you don't tell I won't."

Nice result

Be interesting what you think over the S211 as it could bve my next move.

Result! You get lucky sometimes :thumb:

Mileage on the service record may be wrong and all your paperwork for the purchase so you may want to get that corrected.

Nice result

Be interesting what you think over the S211 as it could bve my next move.

Initial impressions on the way back was........it is pretty similar really.

Don't think I like the interior as much in the day light, but at night with the ambient lighting and the switchgear it looks great.

It feels tighter in many ways, but the steering doesn't feel as nice imho, the S211 steering felt a little heavier, the 212 feels lighter, easier but not as nice imho. Fiona will probably find it better.

I was sort of worried about the seats, both cars I tried had memory seats and didn't go down that low, and this was playing on my mind, but these don't have memory and seemed to be fine, went down plenty far enough.
But I had just come from the X1 which is a pretty high driving position, maybe I have just got used to that over the last few weeks?

I guess time will tell, but it seems like a new shape more than anything, I know it is, but the difference between the E60 5 series and the new F10 is massive, luckily everything I loved about the W211 so far seems to be still there in the W212.

Mileage on the service record may be wrong and all your paperwork for the purchase so you may want to get that corrected.

Yeah, I have thought of that, I have taken pics of the cars odo in KM that match all records and then again in miles, so it is recorded.

I will call them at some point, but thought I would leave it a while.

The plan is to keep it a few years anyway, so after I have had 3 or 4 more services it should all look fine.

Sounds good so far.

I would like the pano roof (as have a sunroof now) so would brighten up the inside also.

I parked mine today and turned round as I locked it, and thought thats a smart looking car. So keep blowing hot and cold in swapping it.

If the odometer was in km does that mean the speedometer was showing in km as well? Seems curious, did someone set the cluster to km at some point and no one noticed??

I went for an avantgarde, the 17's ride perfectly, the headlining is grey instead of black and more have the grey interior, nearly all sports have black and I find that a bit dark.

If the odometer was in km does that mean the speedometer was showing in km as well? Seems curious, did someone set the cluster to km at some point and no one noticed??

No, speedo is only mph, no km/h on it, you have the digital km/h but no markings on the dial.

Yeah, I reckon it it was never set to MPH at delivery and the lady owner has been driving round like that for the last 20 months!

No, speedo is only mph, no km/h on it, you have the digital km/h but no markings on the dial.

Yeah, I reckon it it was never set to MPH at delivery and the lady owner has been driving round like that for the last 20 months!

But the needle will move in km/h the numbers are without unit so the cluster can work in km or miles.
(We had some one trying to re-code a cluster for export to Australia and managed to get thing very confused!)
So when the odo counts up in km the speedo needle moves in km/h. Surely this would have been obvious?

Really!!??

I never knew that, it didn't on the 211.

Having just read the owner's handbook it doesn't on the 212 either, sorry to mislead you!

Well, it doesn't with driver selection but could by re-coding but I doubt this has happened on your car.

What happens when you take it back for a service??

Do you get reported to the rozzers for clocking ya car?? :eek:

What GizzE hasn't noticed yet is that when he made the change the badge on the back switched from "350" to "270" at the same time

Don't think I like the interior as much in the day light, but at night with the ambient lighting and the switchgear it looks great.

It feels tighter in many ways,
I knew a girl like that once! :D

Well done, it's nice to read about a bit of good luck. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom