Pistonheads Scam warning....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSB SL AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
Hi all,

I have been looking for an XKR to buy, saw one on Pistonheads unusually cheap, as in too good to be true
rolleyes.gif
....phoned the telesafe number and got through to someone who had no idea of any car for sale...first warning bell...i then sent a message through their site and recieved the following email yesterday...

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. I've almost reached an agreement with a potential buyer. Unfortunately, it looks like there are some problems and he doesn't have all the money to pay, for the moment. It is in extremely good condition,100% HPI Clear, full service history. Currently I am on a business trip to Italy and will have to stay here for about 6 months (this is why I am selling the car for a low price and I am looking for a fast sale to finance the Italian project ). I left the car in Stanton Transport custody ( www.stanton-transport.co.uk ) and they will handle the sale for me. The V5 log book is already signed on my behalf, the car will come with 2 keys, all service records and previous MOT's. Stanton Transport will deliver the car directly to your home address and I will pay all delivery expenses.
If you are interested in purchasing the car just contact Stanton Transport department that handles the sale directly at: [email protected] and they will assist you with any questions you might have regarding the transaction.
When contacting the Stanton Transport please specify my name ( Elizabeth Adkins ) and the car make and model.

Thank you,

The advert has now been removed, thought i would post as a warning to all....

Last edited:
Apparently quite a few of these, though the seller's name changes, as does that of the haulier.

Another thread HERE about the same scam, with links to several others...

I'm curious - does the haulier actually have a car, or is in on the scam? i.e. how does this work, as I would expect to speak to the haulier, see the car wherever they have it, etc, before sending any money...

fake haulier, fake car.

Is there not a genuine Stanton Transport based in the North East? I'm sure I've seen some of their wagons around

The website says "since 1994", the Companies House says "23 April 2014".
No accounts, no returns yet (obviously).
Registered address is the same as the business one, and Street View shows an impressive industrial estate:

ScreenShot2014-12-30at132015_zpse3506bc6.png

Looks legit to me :eek:

Going through the links from post2, i think this explains all from someone who actually handed over the money:eek:

Fraud Warning - PistonHeads

I'm curious - does the haulier actually have a car, or is in on the scam? i.e. how does this work, as I would expect to speak to the haulier, see the car wherever they have it, etc, before sending any money...

Is there not a genuine Stanton Transport based in the North East? I'm sure I've seen some of their wagons around

There was one in Kent - dissolved in 2011, and one in Crewe, called Terry Stanton Transport Limited ...
The scammers are playing on familiarity of the name.
Also, since the original one was dissolved more than three years ago, they just registered the same name:

IMG_1410_zps99ae9b9e.png

The website says "since 1994", the Companies House says "23 April 2014".
No accounts, no returns yet (obviously).
Registered address is the same as the business one, and Street View shows an impressive industrial estate:

ScreenShot2014-12-30at132015_zpse3506bc6.png

Looks legit to me :eek:

Could park a couple of lorries in there!! :eek:

Worse things have hapened at sea....;)

Hard to believe anyone would fall for it..but look at the multiple people who get caught out on watchdog / rogue traders etc...

REALLY?!
Is this post real or some sort of fakery to act as a warning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom