Pit Start anyone been - questions (anyone lend me a heat gun?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi all,

Firstly if you haven't heard of it, it's a self service garage. Pit Start - Self Service Garage - 020 8827 1919

Some members have used it before: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/79104-pit-start-garage.html

I'm planning on going there this Saturday to do some rust treat and wash and wax the car. If you're in there be sure to say hi to the chap playing with phosphoric acid on a Silver CLK W208.

Just wondering if anyone knows if it's heated in there?

Also if anyone in the area has a heat gun they feel like lending!

Cheers,
Ross

Last edited:
I've got one in Orpington Ross, if that's any use?

Ian.

I'm now a platinum member there (meaning I can use their services for £10 a day rather than an hour) and thoroughly recomend them! I even got free coolant for my radiator ;)

Now, you might have a problem... it says on the board on their wall that you cannot wash you car in there ;)

As for it being heated, it usually is, but on Saturday they had run out of diesel, so it was absolutely freezing! Being hard headed, I continued to work in a t-shirt and now have a cold and a terrible cough :s

I don't regret it though, it's still a great garage! Don't forget to bring a beer or two ;) I wont be there Saturday as I'm proctoring the CFA exam, but I will be there sunday... and will have beer to offer to anyone with an mbclub sticker ;)

As for a heat-gun, I don't know... I don't think they have one simply because I didn't see any electrical tools (everything was air-powered) - might be worth calling in advance and asking?

M.

Last edited:
I'm now a platinum member there (meaning I can use their services for £10 a day rather than an hour) and thoroughly recomend them! I even got free coolant for my radiator ;)

Interesting, what are the terms of that? Is it like air miles where you simply use them lots and they reward you with cheaper rates?

Ian.

No, it's available to anyone who throws £200 or so in their general direction.

Nope, it's all cash based.... usually at £360 a year, they're doing a half-price thing now... so for £170 odd quid (or 9 hours on a ramp) you get the membership.... given that I spend 8 hours there a week, it seemed like a fantastic deal!

Plus, now I can work on all my cars without fumbling for tools, or crawling under the car!

M.

I've got one in Orpington Ross, if that's any use?

Ian.

Thank you Ian. Having looked into it i actually think a hair dryer might be a better idea (i'm going to be using it to dry paint, only small areas though). If it's too hot i may end up damaging the paint, so i think a hair dryer is a safer idea.

Now, you might have a problem... it says on the board on their wall that you cannot wash you car in there ;)

As for it being heated, it usually is, but on Saturday they had run out of diesel, so it was absolutely freezing! Being hard headed, I continued to work in a t-shirt and now have a cold and a terrible cough :s...

Thanks.

By the wink i presume you are joking about the car washing???

One thing is I really could do with a jet washer. Hmm.. not sure how they'd feel about that. Might try and jet wash before i get there.

Anyone know of a jet washer nearby?

There used to be lots of petrol stations with a wash your own car station - now I cannot find one anywhere!

I shall bring a few beers. I'm guessing it won't be too busy. I'm also shocked that this is how I plan to spend a Saturday night!!

Hair dryer ? Use a fan heater,will cover the area better.

Hair dryer ? Use a fan heater,will cover the area better.

Not got a fan heater, and also the areas are tiny - we're talking stone chips and areas no larger than a 5p coin.

Hoping a hair dryer will do the job.

Last edited:
By the wink i presume you are joking about the car washing???

One thing is I really could do with a jet washer. Hmm.. not sure how they'd feel about that. Might try and jet wash before i get there.

Anyone know of a jet washer nearby?

There used to be lots of petrol stations with a wash your own car station - now I cannot find one anywhere!

I shall bring a few beers. I'm guessing it won't be too busy. I'm also shocked that this is how I plan to spend a Saturday night!!

Well, I wasn't joking about the sign... but I did notice a hose-pipe on one of the bays (bay 8 or 9 if memory serves me, one of the last bays with the hydraulic lifts)... it even had a pressure washer connected to it... hence the wink :p

I spent last saturday night there... ended up leaving around 22:30 as it took longer than expected... if you're there again on Sunday, look for the large rally car plastered in stickers with a bunch of guys trying to figure out which is the front of the car...

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom