Pitting and peeling lacquer on my red one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi,

As has been discussed before, red ones often have lacquer issues. Most report pitting and micro bubbles in the lacquer, but mine has this and also peeling lacquer where it's coming away from the paint, all over the car. I can't even sponge and water bucket wash the car anymore without water getting under the broken lacquer and spreading it.

I've spoken to Mercedes Manchester dealership who said to come in and they'll get an 'estimator' to look at it.

It's a 08 plate, but the problem has existed since I got it, and has worsened since then. It needs a full respray, lacquer only if that can be done.

It's made the car pretty much valueless, as nobody would buy it in it's current state. It should be worth around £8,000, but not in this state.

I'm wondering what I should expect from them before I go in, as I've never been in a situation like this before.

Thanks.

Has it got full MB history? If so you might have a good case. If not they generally say no these days....

It's got a MB service history up to a point, then the service history is a MB indi. :S

I get your point and why they'd use that as a get out clause, but what has an MB employee putting new air filters and oil into the engine got to do with the paintwork? MB don't maintain the paint at services. :(

'Clear coat only' can't be done.
It all has to be buzzed off with a DA sander, so base coat will be needed.

My mate just bought a C63 in fire opal and dealer has resprayed entire car covered by MB without question.

It's got a MB service history up to a point, then the service history is a MB indi. :S

I get your point and why they'd use that as a get out clause, but what has an MB employee putting new air filters and oil into the engine got to do with the paintwork? MB don't maintain the paint at services. :(

It's about you being an M-B customer I think. If you didn't buy the car from them (?) and have taken it elsewhere for servicing why should they fix the paintwork? Obviously no harm in asking - you may get a contribution from M-B. But likely to be cheaper to get it resprayed yourself, I would guess.

Good luck, anyway!

Any MB dealer should have the facility to determine the originality of the paint. If its still "from factory" with no evidence of previous remedial work then you should have a case. If the car's retail history new and used was from an MB dealer then again your case is strengthened but if the car has been resold or repaired outwith the MB system then things can get problematical. Best not to anticipate any outcome till MB have pronounced. As you can appreciate each case has to be judged on its merits. A car acouple of years old bought new from Mercedes by its first owner perhaps still under warranty with paint problems is pretty much a slam dunk as far as as paintwork restitution is concerned - but as time passes it becomes much more of a grey area.

i-CONICA said:
It's got a MB service history up to a point, then the service history is a MB indi. :S I get your point and why they'd use that as a get out clause, but what has an MB employee putting new air filters and oil into the engine got to do with the paintwork? MB don't maintain the paint at services. :(

Totally agree with you!

My father had a w210 from about a year old, he took it to MB approved bodyshop where there was 4 w210's and his had half mb half Indi and he said what's the difference then? as it's obviously happening to loads of us regardless of who services it.

So I'd say give it a go but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

So I went to MB Manchester and shown the guy the issue. He said that mine is by far the worse he's ever seen. Mine is a 57 plate so one of the first W204s, so that's likely part the reason.

He took the car into the workshop and spent over half an hour taking pictures and what not.

I've got to wait a few weeks for a response. So fingers crossed...

I have just bought a Red 2012 c220 from Mercedes and it was the sales guy who pointed out the micro blisters. To be honest I hadn't noticed them but they were willing to sort. It's now in getting a full respray. Good service

Hi,

As has been discussed before, red ones often have lacquer issues. Most report pitting and micro bubbles in the lacquer, but mine has this and also peeling lacquer where it's coming away from the paint, all over the car. I can't even sponge and water bucket wash the car anymore without water getting under the broken lacquer and spreading it.

I've spoken to Mercedes Manchester dealership who said to come in and they'll get an 'estimator' to look at it.

It's a 08 plate, but the problem has existed since I got it, and has worsened since then. It needs a full respray, lacquer only if that can be done. A

It's made the car pretty much valueless, as nobody would buy it in it's current state. It should be worth around £8,000, but not in this state.

I'm wondering what I should expect from them before I go in, as I've never been in a situation like this before.

Thanks.
Hi ,
Have a look on the SLK World forum and do a search for opal red paint problems . Many have complained and m b are sorting . You should be the same .

Good luck

Michael.

Thanks both, has given me a confidence boost. We'll wait and see.

Some pictures.
ad214547e8d635e9b3ef86a6252b75b3.jpg

de742b86eeb30a68f09308be3c7e56d4.jpg

bd94c724fb1fdbf3983529080f213ada.jpg

588ab7dc153cae509ac8453e09ccc564.jpg

74c81094e811d8e0dce86b5cfc5bf9cc.jpg

3281985083445c1f10459741cc514efa.jpg

570ccf1507ddda8b6cdf275e1c270691.jpg

a6b5bb59c812249bd858ec923773ae5c.jpg

14cc848fc4b52da44d7b1d13eda2c463.jpg

6cf7be3e008e58d695fc2304ccf824a7.jpg

0138ce66019ddb1e6f76634e658f229f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that is pretty bad, keep plugging away at MB in a polite but frank manor - here's hoping for a good outcome ;)
If it makes you feel any better, mine has an A5 sized piece of lacquer missing on the bonnet too :(

Wow, that is really poor. Hope they sort it.

Yeah this winter has made it considerably worse. The rain chipping away at it, getting under and breaking bits off.

Hi, Bill.

It looks that way in the picture, but I think it's a reflection of the floor or my mrs mini behind. It's not got orange peel effect anywhere on it.

Hi, All.

Mercedes Manchester just called. They're giving it a full respray and giving me a courtesy car for the 2 to 3 weeks it'll take. :eek:

Seems a bit too good to be true, given the age, and the fact I've not had to bat any offers back or argue in any way. The first contact since they inspected it a few weeks ago was this. :crazy:

So I'm to take it in at the start of March. Fingers crossed! :D

Good to hear of a satisfactory resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom