Pleasant surprise at stealership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Kerr

Car
BMW 5 series / 1961 Jaguar E-Type
I have decided to sell my '03 220CDI saloon so I spent all day yesterday washing, polishing to get it looking nice (its silver so it always looks nice) for the trip to MB Worcester today.
I thought being as I had brought it over from an MB dealer in Holland they would give me a crap price, it is better than a UK spec avantgarde, any way, none of it, the dealer offered me what I thought I might get privately, near enough, offered me an engine upgrade as well which I don't really want so I asked for a bigger discount - fine you can have that as well. Bloody 'ell, I am in the right place!!
Of course the deal finishes on 31 March and because I want a diamond black avantgarde with sports pack, manual of course, there isn't one in the country so it has to be built special. This will not be available until June, the upgrade offer will have ended and there is a price rise in April.
I am now thinking that if the dealer is willing to offer such a good trade in then I may be able to get more selling it privately which I will have a go at.(his words about it being self imported are as long as its UK spec we don't care, he also said my car was immaculate and they could sell it no problem, not even the fact thats its manual could put him off)

Things must have changed at the dealers since the last time I dealt with them which is over ten years ago, or are things that bad at MB they would give Delboy a good price for his car.

I also asked for a quote through an Internet site and an MB dealer phoned back within the hour, he says they have a stock shortage of second hand cars, so more good news.
Good time to get a new car I think :bannana:

Dave

Good indeed mate. :rock:

What car are you thinking of getting, as you just mentioned avantgarde?

Brian WH said:
Good indeed mate. :rock:

What car are you thinking of getting, as you just mentioned avantgarde?

Another C220 CDI with sports pack in diamond black

Dave

Congratulations and enjoy ur new car... :)

Flash

You will always get more for it privately. Have a poke about the dealers in your area and see how many of them are selling cars similar to yours, check autotrader as well, work out an average price for private and retail and then if you can sell at the average private price and still make money on the dealers offer you'll shift it to the first person that sees it.
If you don't shift it in two weeks, take it to the dealers again (or a different one and tell him how much the other bloke offered + 500quid obv.)

You'll probably make enough for a set of AMG alloys - nice.

bob,

Can't find any cars to compare mine against, had a look in the autotrader most are dealer cars and auto going for over £20k.
Had a look on MB direct an '04 manual avantgarde with 7K miles on was being offered for £23,999 with sports pack.
I am going to go for £18,750 and see what happens!!
a couple of dealers have told me there is a shortage of cars, maybe people are hanging on a bit longer with the higher interest rates.

Dave

Parkers say 18,900 for a good avantgarde manual with 10K - depending on your spec and mileage there's probably no harm in putting it in at 19500 and then letting the buyer get a good deal by chopping 250-500 off for the odd scratch/dent/worn tyre.
http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/us...?deriv=19538&plate=72&pay=false&buyorsell=buy

There's not a lot of difference buying a warrantied car privately or via trade. The private buyer knows (or should) that the manufacturer warranty will cover most nasties and after all.... it's a Mercedes Benz, nothing goes wrong with them, right? ;)

Interesting to know how you get on

Bob,
Heres the problem, while being very well specced mainly because it is an import so I have all the Dutch features like heated wash wipe and headlamp wash, plus all the extras I added it only has a two year warranty which is just about up.
I suppose if I offered it for sale at £19,250 and someone knocked £500 or so because of the no warranty that would be fair enough. I believe you can buy a warranty for about £600 or so.
Even the dealer had to admit the car was spotless, no dents, dings or scratches, new tyres just fitted etc. Mileage is 21K so not bad.

We will have to see, report back in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the advice.

Dave

Just been speaking to our local dealer and it looks like Mercedes-Benz is offering some very attractive incentives to dealers on the C-class range.

The only reason we are getting a 'bargain' is simply because the dealer is getting a better one and long may it continue.

John

I also got a good offer on a new C230K a/garde + sportspack. Although the trade-in on my "52" slk32amg was not very exciting. It appears that the trade are not interested now the new slk is available. I look forward to the new car next month although I shall miss the slk when the sun shines, and the occasional burst of amg performance.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom