Please advise how to fill my rusty hole ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomsAmg

Car
2000 CLK55 AMG
As above really! I have a rusty hole!!!

I had a stone chip on the front edge of my w208 bonnet, right inbetween the main and low beam headlight, it's been bugging me for ages, so today I poked it.... Bad idea, went right through , I have sanded back all the rust now and I'm left with a hole about the size of a £2 coin.

What shall I do with it,?? Use a fibreglass filler and some mesh to fill the hole?? I'm also going to treat with rust converter, anti corrosion primer etc etc,

I'm not handy with the welder, and I don't want a life time repair, just something that will tie me over for a year or so.

Any advice with what to fill the hole with??

In the past (a few ago now, granted) I found the trick to this kind of repair is a good, firm backing behind the hole. Something that won't flex, whether that be fibreglass or bonded piece of sheet steel, itself treated. Then it was a case of slightly over filling the hole above paint level to allow for contouring when sanding.
There may well be more modern and better ways to do it now though.
The problem is going to be blending in the paint, very difficult if metallic.

Good advice giant,

That was an idea that I was thinking,
Thankyou

wax paper technique

I have never used this wax paper technique but seems as if it might fit the bill.
This guy has made a few videos using fiberglass reinforced filler which seems to be an order finer than the usual Isopon P40 found in Halfords. That plus a bit of skill and experience of course!
[YOUTUBE HD]VMhoRnBIEE8[/YOUTUBE HD]

Giant do you use fibreglass resin to hold the steel sheet at the back of the hole or rivets ?

W210s suffer the same fate on this double skinned area of the bonnet.
You need to be able to de-rust and project (Waxoyl) the back of the 'repair' or it'll soon rust out again.

My repair was a proper one - swap the bonnet for a good used one in the same colour. Quick and easy to do. An aerosol touch up there will never look much good.

W210s suffer the same fate on this double skinned area of the bonnet.
You need to be able to de-rust and project (Waxoyl) the back of the 'repair' or it'll soon rust out again.

My repair was a proper one - swap the bonnet for a good used one in the same colour. Quick and easy to do. An aerosol touch up there will never look much good.
Yea I was going to treat it all with a rust converter then prime it etc,

Know any good nick silver bonnets going then mate?? If I could get a good one I would do that!!

As for the the wax paper technique, looks good but I would be worried that when I sand it would just fall out, as nothing behind the hole by the looks of it,

Giant do you use fibreglass resin to hold the steel sheet at the back of the hole or rivets ?

I have epoxyed, used steel putty weld (there are various makes now), fibreglassed and mig tacked but have never riveted a plate. It all depends on the access to the rear (steady the buffs:D) and how thick/good/rigid the material I was bonding to was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom