Poll - Do you use winter tyres?

Do you use winter tyres?

• Yes

Votes: 270 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 355 56.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
No agenda here, I'm just interested to know what percentage of people use or have used winter tyres. Please vote above :)

I was discussing this with a colleague and he said I'm the first UK person he's met that uses winter tyres. Outside of this forum I know only of one other person who uses them.

No.
In 34 years of car ownership I've never been stuck in snow.

Last edited:
This year is the first time I have switched to winters. Mainly has my michelins where getting low on tread anyway. My 17" wheels are getting a bit scabby so I'm moving to 18" AMG wheels next sprint and new "summer" performance tyres.

Thanks. I've voted now.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking to debate the rights/wrongs of winter tyres. Plenty of other threads on that :)

I do, I originally switched because I spent a lot of time driving in Germany. Pretty much compulsory there

I don't think they are necessary for me. I have a rule that i don't drive in bad ice or snow in the UK, i think its not worth the risk and usually the bad weather doesn't last long. Driving in dry conditions on winter tyres can be hazardous and they wear quickly. Just my point of view though, and i don't work when it snows anyway.

I never did but I`ll be going to try them this year

swear by them where i live, along with an extra 150kg in the boot, i have never been stuck with them on. Used to get stuck everywhere and couldnt even get out my street.

swear by them where i live, along with an extra 150kg in the boot, i have never been stuck with them on. Used to get stuck everywhere and couldnt even get out my street.

Make sure the 150Kgs is well secured in the boot. If possible always have your rear seatbelts buckled so that in the event of an accident you are not in peril.

Had you created this poll 12 months ago I suspect the results would be different.

Generally though I suspect that it won't represent the general public, as by definition forum members are more interested in their car, more informed and respect the opinions of others like-minded members, compared to the average driver.

I've just ordered
Vredestein Wintrac Extremes
2x 265/30/19
2x 235/35/19
should be running them by the middle of next week:D

I've not used winter tyres before
but ive also not had a 6208cc V8 beast before:eek:

Never used them.

I just adjust my driving style according to the prevailing conditions.

Also, the less tyre-swapping action my diamond-cut polished alloys see, the better.

Thanks. I've voted now.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking to debate the rights/wrongs of winter tyres. Plenty of other threads on that :)

I didn't even know 'Winter tyres' existed until I joined this forum.....:dk:

That also depends on your location. As a Londoner, most of my car Journeys are around the South East. I reckon we only get a few days a year when it is snowing or even just icy. And as for temperatures, I think that on balance there are more dsya here during the winter where the temperature is higher than 7 degrees, then days that it is below. So on balance, I think I am actually safer driving in the Winter with all-year tyres rather than winter tyres. This is of course different situation for anyone leaving up north, or Scotland, or Shetland...

Never used them.

I just adjust my driving style according to the prevailing conditions.

Also, the less tyre-swapping action my diamond-cut polished alloys see, the better.
Good news! If you have winter tyres *and* wheels you will be swapping tyres half as often and during winter your diamond-cut polished alloys will be safely in storage :D

No, Quatrac3 all season tyres. And they are not just any tyres they are M&S tyres. ;)

Last edited:
Good news! If you have winter tyres *and* wheels you will be swapping tyres half as often and during winter your diamond-cut polished alloys will be safely in storage :D

That's a very good point. My main concern is the salt getting to the finish of the wheels, but the car isn't used that much so should be okay if I keep 'em clean.

I bought 4 Goodyear Vector's yesterday just in time for the snowfall last night. However they were on a second set of wheels in the boot, rather than on the car!

If i still had the W126 i'd consider it, but got a 300TE 4Matic now so should be better!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom