Poor radio signal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobhenry999

Car
R230 SL 350
Hello,

I am new to here having only just bought a lovely low mileage R230 SL350, which is absolutely fantastic.

My problem is that when listening to FM radio, the signal is weak and fuzzy even on strong stations such as Radio 2, or even my local station. It`s like not having an aerial connected.

Any ideas ?

Bob

Doesn't the R230 have a little stubby aerial on the back wing , which requires a signal amplifier ?

The stubby little antenna on the back is a telephone antenna. (Different on SLK, where it is radio also).

The FM antenna amplifiers are at the bottom of the A-Pillars behind the dashboard. These are the most stupidly placed things and you have to remove the dashboard to replace them !!

- Does your remote key opening work from a distance ? (If no, then check the fuses)?
Given the cost of removing the dashboard, its worth checking the radio first but you need to find someone with a spare to do this (and I know that comand.co.uk has currently out of stock of used units for older SL, although we normally try to keep one)

What age is your SL ?

Thanks
Richard

Hello,

I am new to here having only just bought a lovely low mileage R230 SL350, which is absolutely fantastic.

My problem is that when listening to FM radio, the signal is weak and fuzzy even on strong stations such as Radio 2, or even my local station. It`s like not having an aerial connected.

Bob
Assuming the RF lock/unlock works then, working from the front backwards, look to defective antenna connections from the screen to the passenger side pre-amp. next look to the pre-amps themselves - they 'select' the strongest signal from each of the 4 screen mounted antennas - on instruction from the Audio Gateway (AGW). As Richard says the pre-amps are a pain to get to (at least 5 hours to remove the dashboard - but then I have only done it once!). If those work, look for continuity between pre-amp RF OUT feed and the FM input to the AGW, mounted behind the passenger seat.

Finally swap out the AGW for another to see if you have any improvement - a hint here: if AM is rubbish it might be the antenna in the boot or the AGW.

In any event it will not be the COMAND head unit.

I have done all of this and have improved the FM signal to a degree (defective Passenger Side Pre-Amp), but FM is still not very good.

To do anything very much you will probably need WIS, to see the wiring diagrams

For info there are many complaints about poor FM reception in the SL - you are not alone!

What year is your SL? Where are you in UK?
crippo2

Blimey, that sounds like it`s going to be a right pain to sort out.

My car is a 2003, and it has the little stubby aerial on the nsr wing.
I don`t think I fancy spending 5 hours removing the dash so i will just put up with the poor fm signal, all the better to listen to the lovely purr from the rear !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom