Porsche Cayenne Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Yes it's me seeking the panel's advice again, over the last month I have bought an E500 W211 and a ML350 W163 on behalf of friends.

This time I'm looking for a Porsche Cayenne, I'm pretty familiar with these cars as we used to look after a few when we had the motorsport business. I'm looking at 2004 - 2005 era

However I would welcome advice from owners on their running experiences, what to avoid, what is the real world mpg in town and motorway, service costs both parts and total cost. would you buy another?

All comments most welcome

cheers
Ian

I know someone with an early Cayenne Turbo. It is an awesome car in every respect.
He bought it to replace an early RR L322 V8. He tells me that although the Cayenne has cost him a small fortune in fuel and maintenance, it's not quite as bad as his L322 was.
I think he told me he has averaged around 15mpg in his.
I can't recall precise details, but I know he had coil packs done and some pipes, can't remember if they were water or oil. He also had some propshaft troubles. Tyres and brakes cost a small fortune and the turbo really eats through them. It seems like every time we chat he's been through another set.
I know he also had issues with one of the door locks or the mechanism.

He's let me have a little spin behind the wheel and it doesn't feel it's size or weight. Interior feels a little dated but i've never thought Porsche interiors age well (probably a preference thing)

If I could afford one, i'd have one despite the ugly exterior and ugly interior!

ive got a 2005 turbo, things to look for are coolant tubes need to be replaced, they run through the inside of the engine and are originally plastic and prone to splitting. Proactive replacement at indie is about £700 when it breaks its £2000 +.

Also cardan shafts wear and break and coil packs can go.

Apart from that front brake discs and pads £360, mpg of 14-16 round town and 22 on the motorway.
Turbo S are more expensive on just about everything.

It is pretty quick, spacious and ive no idea what its like off road, its never been there.

I would love a gemballa cayenne, but my next car is a c7 rs6 V10

Hope that helps

steve

I like them but my choice would be the VW Tourag in the 5.0L V10 guise.

Up here, Cayennes are regarded as the choice for the SWMBO of the 'alternative market' businessmen.

From what I can remember having researched them a little, the normally aspirated versions are prone to damaged bores like the Jag V8, the turbos are fine apparently. A badly adjusted or neglected flex plate can cause expensive damage in the transmission chain.

One of my sisters had a N/A one, it was a great car but very thirsty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom