Portable Wi-Fi router

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gozoman

Car
Mercedes C180 Blue Efficiency
Hi guys, advice required. I'm driving a 2013 Mercedes C180 Blue Efficiency and I've just had a Blackvue DR750S-2CH camera system professionally fitted to it along with the Power Magic device. In order to take full advantage of its features I need to have the car fitted with a portable Wi-Fi router. Has anyone went down this route and what would you recommend?

I had an EE Osprey which worked very well. However be mindful that the on-board battery will run flat in a few hours, unless connected through your power magic in some way, and then your wifi and camera will both be taking power from the car battery.

Does not the cam emit its own WiFi......

EDIT - stupid question, else you wouldn't have asked I suppose, but those that I looked at where WiFi was needed to access features or video did (as mine does)
You have double checked.....?

The usual run of mifi devices otherwise?
3s dongle worked well for a chaffeur firm I use

I have the BV 650 2CH installed on our ML. Once you have the app on your phone you can view the footage BUT only whilst the camera is on and you are connected to it via the cameras wi-fi. I enquired with BV regarding watching footage remotely (eg I am not in the car, whilst someone else is driving, parked up somewhere etc) and this was the response I got:
"The camera has a Wi-Fi connection that must be connected to the cloud. To do that you will need to either use your mobile phone a s a wireless hotspot or purchase a 4G/ Wi Fi dongle form say EE and provide a permanent 4G connection to your car"
This was for my model of cam, but I would imagine yours would be similar if not the same. I have never bothered doing it TBH, it does what I needed it to do, ie record on the move and footage stored on the app should I need it.

I had an EE Osprey which worked very well. However be mindful that the on-board battery will run flat in a few hours, unless connected through your power magic in some way, and then your wifi and camera will both be taking power from the car battery.

That's something to look at although the last thing I need is another drain on the battery. Thanks.

Does not the cam emit its own WiFi......

EDIT - stupid question, else you wouldn't have asked I suppose, but those that I looked at where WiFi was needed to access features or video did (as mine does)
You have double checked.....?

The usual run of mifi devices otherwise?
3s dongle worked well for a chaffeur firm I use

The camera does emit it's own Wi-Fi but that only works if you are within about 20 feet of the car. I'm thinking for example when I'm on holiday and the car is parked up being able to call it up on my phone and access the cameras that way.

I have the BV 650 2CH installed on our ML. Once you have the app on your phone you can view the footage BUT only whilst the camera is on and you are connected to it via the cameras wi-fi. I enquired with BV regarding watching footage remotely (eg I am not in the car, whilst someone else is driving, parked up somewhere etc) and this was the response I got:
"The camera has a Wi-Fi connection that must be connected to the cloud. To do that you will need to either use your mobile phone a s a wireless hotspot or purchase a 4G/ Wi Fi dongle form say EE and provide a permanent 4G connection to your car"
This was for my model of cam, but I would imagine yours would be similar if not the same. I have never bothered doing it TBH, it does what I needed it to do, ie record on the move and footage stored on the app should I need it.

I'm beginning to think you are right in not using it in that way. As you say it does what it's supposed to do and does it well and setting up a 4G dongle in the car is beginning to look like more bother than it's worth, and a lot more expence.

A better option might be something like this;
HUAWEI E5577C UNLOCKED BLACK LTE 4G & 3G Mobile MIFI WIFI Modem SimFree | eBay
Which is unlocked, so you are not limited by the coverage of only one service provider. We have used a Huawei MiFi for years and it has been excellent.

That looks interesting. I'm assuming I could simple connect this up to the USB port in the centre console and forget about it? It mentions Built-in Dual / 2 External Antenna Aerial Connectors. Does this mean it has to be connected to an external antenna or do you reckon it would work closed inside the centre console out of sight? The one thing that is putting me off it is a lot of comments stating that it doesn't come with instructions in English which would be a problem as I don't speak Chinese!

They really need a sky view or an aerial. Somewhere near a window might do but shut in the middle of the car with no aerial wouldn't be best.

You don't need instructions. Give it sky, power and a data sim card and away it goes.

They really need a sky view or an aerial. Somewhere near a window might do but shut in the middle of the car with no aerial wouldn't be best.

You don't need instructions. Give it sky, power and a data sim card and away it goes.

Okay thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom