Possible issue with Gear box? on 63 plate E300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Patdavis

Car
E class
I wonder if anyone could help me?

When i drive my car up a steep-ish hill and generally when its cold outside. we get what can only be described as something slipping mechanically either clutch or gear in gear box i'm not to sure.
as the car is auto i don't seem to notice and effect from a gear slipping but when the noise happens it can be accelerated through, and also once i pulled the car over and the noise continued when stationary. had to turn the engine off to stop it.

but it doesn't always happen perhaps 1 out of 20 drives..

Anyone have and ideas.?

Almost impossible to diagnose over the internet, but I'd arrange a visit to an indy (if you have one nearby) and start by having the ATF level checked and see if any fault codes have been triggered.
Bear in mind that all autoboxes are a bit lumpy until the fluids have warmed up. Could that have been what was happening?

yes i think the gearbox is lumpy when cold and you can feel the gear changes more, but you wouldn't expect to hear what sounds like gears grinding.
or perhaps could it be something vibrating near or on the gear box when its cold?

The 7G-Tronic in my E class is 'lumpy' when cold noticeably more so in the winter especially when slowing to a standstill. Slightly eased by using Comfort rather then Sport mode. Fine when the box has warmed though.

How long have you had the car?
Has the gearbox been serviced?
Need to check service interval - MB keep changing their mind on that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom