Possible new terrorist attack in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steveml63

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
ML63 AMG
Hi,
Worrying news this morning of an explosion on a tube train.
Pictures already on the Daily Mail website showing a burning bucket in a Lidl freezer carrier bag.
TATP needs to be kept cold - so maybe freezer bag is significant?
Cheers
Steve

pri_53002676-e1505461535290.jpg

E Cigs have filled a carriage with flames and injured many?

The device did not explode as intended...they were all very lucky, though it probably doesn't feel that way.

18 off to hospital , none serious.

By the looks of the size of the suspect item then it could have been a bad one , thankfully not.

What i am amazed at there were people filming the burning device rather than getting as far away as quickly as possible. A similar thing happened in Barcelona after the attack there , people filming while people were lying dying in the street.

Kenny

Luckily the causality count and nature of injuries are not as bad as they might have been.

My thought are with all those caught up in the incident - whether injured themselves, or just being on the train or platform at the time of the evacuation, and also those whose journey to work was severely delayed this morning.

...What i am amazed at there were people filming the burning device rather than getting as far away as quickly as possible. A similar thing happened in Barcelona after the attack there , people filming while people were lying dying in the street....

This is why:

image.png

The Police are going through CCTV footage as we speak... and will soon have an image of the person carrying the Liddle bag onto the train.

They will then identify the person (either with help from the public, or with help from Anti Terror Branch and MI-5).

The Police will access the perpetrator's mobile phone records and social nedia accounts, and over the coming days they will be raiding the homes off all those who were in contact with the perpetrator.

They will sieze bomb making material and propaganda material.

Job done - another terror cell eliminated.

Now where did I hear this before? Seems like a never-ending story...

Apparently the phenomemon was a defragration which fortunately did not transition to detonation.
A deflagration is characterized by a subsonic flame propagation velocity, typically far below 100 metres per second (220 mph), and relatively modest overpressures, say below 0.5 bars (7.3 psi). The main mechanism of combustion propagation is of a flame front that moves forward through the gas mixture - in technical terms the reaction zone (chemical combustion) progresses through the medium by processes of diffusion of heat and mass. In its most benign form, a deflagration may simply be a flash fire.

In contrast, a detonation is characterized by supersonic flame propagation velocities, perhaps up to 2,000 metres per second (4,500 mph), and substantial overpressures, up to 20 bars (290 psi). The main mechanism of combustion propagation is of a powerful pressure wave that compresses the unburnt gas ahead of the wave to a temperature above the autoignition temperature. In technical terms, the reaction zone (chemical combustion) is a self-driven shock wave where the reaction zone and the shock are coincident, and the chemical reaction is initiated by the compressive heating caused by the shock wave. The process is similar to ignition in a Diesel engine, but much more sudden and violent.

Under certain conditions, mainly in terms of geometrical conditions (such as partial confinement and many obstacles in the flame path that cause turbulent flame eddy currents), a subsonic flame may accelerate to supersonic speed, transitioning from deflagration to detonation. The exact mechanism is not fully understood, and while existing theories are able to explain and model both deflagrations and detonations, there is no theory at present which can predict the transition phenomenon.

Sounds like a lot of injuries were caused in the stampede, rather than by the device.

WTF has happened to global terrorism? Not so long ago there was a meticulously planned act of terror on the twin towers. Nowadays all you get is a string of fairy lights in a scaggy old bucket on a tube train.
Osama bin Laden would be turning in his grave.....if he had one!!

WTF has happened to global terrorism? Not so long ago there was a meticulously planned act of terror on the twin towers. Nowadays all you get is a string of fairy lights in a scaggy old bucket on a tube train.
Osama bin Laden would be turning in his grave.....if he had one!!

Not totally convinced I like the tone of this post. It infers that you regret the passing of 'global terrorism'? :dk:

When I told my colleagues yesterday, they were waiting for the punchline, until I informed them I was being serious.

I suppose we should be greatful for the fact that this was an amateur attempt at rather than a well organised attempt, otherwise we would be looking at a serious casualties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom