Post a single Car based pub fact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame about the water pumps - I heard they were very weak, along with the head gasket warping problem

Supposedly down to 'user error' i.e. not using the specified anti-freeze.

I've posted this before, but it's a page from a warranty I got on a Ford Granada in the early 80s (see point I. :D)

Shame about the water pumps - I heard they were very weak, along with the head gasket warping problem
Only problem with the water pump was that it was mounted too high, lose an inch or three of water from the rad and you are pumping fresh air so I would have to say shame about the idiot driver for not noticing and stopping to investigate.

Heads only tended to warp if the driver was stupid as above.

Antifreeze stopped the corrosion of the head studs to the heads so the heads would lift off easy as pie. Again down to the stupid driver to get this bit right too.

Last edited:
Supposedly down to 'user error' i.e. not using the specified anti-freeze.

I've posted this before, but it's a page from a warranty I got on a Ford Granada in the early 80s (see point I. :D)

With that list, I can't imagine much being covered..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

With that list, I can't imagine much being covered..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It covered the cylinder heads being taken off my Granada and skimmed after one of the gaskets went :) :thumb:

The 80's BMW 3 Series was involved in more single-car accidents than any other (by a long way).

The highly unstable rear suspension was aledgedly the reason, used to go into oscillation under a none-too-rare combination of bumps.

Strangely not too many owners came back to complain at BMW, keeping thier claim of being "the Ultimate Driving Machine" intact.

Another fun-fact, they used to say that with a straight face.

The Mercedes M120 engine V12 fitted to many MB in the 90's 600 V12 (SL600 S600) was also used in Zonda's. The Pagani Zonda has used 3 different capacity, Mercedes-AMG tuned, versions of the M120 engine starting with the untuned 6.0 L for the original Zonda C12 to a 7.0 L version for the C12 S and Zonda GR, then to the 7.3 L for the Zonda C12s 7.3, Zonda F, Zonda Cinque and the Zonda Tricolore, and back to the 6.0 L for the Zonda R and the Zonda Revolucion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom