Post Codes as the insurance companies see it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right .....

I'm off ................................. to work !

'A' currently for me was in a 'C' and did notice the drop when I moved on car & house insurance.

It may be worth insuring your cars at another address then??

blicky_1 said:
It may be worth insuring your cars at another address then??
I was talking to a guy who used to work at an insurance broker and he mentioned a really sneaky trick:

I live at postcode in the OL11 area, which is E*. I call up an insurance broker and tell them my address, but give the postcode as DL11 instead (which is a B on that list). It looks almost the same, could be easily mistaken if written down and post will still come to me because Mercedes Enthusiast magazine had DL11 as my postcode for over a year before I noticed!

If they check on the postcode and tell me it's wrong I can simply say that it's a new street and the postcodes always come back wrong at the moment or some other excuse.

If I was ever accused of fraud I would simply blame the insurance broker for screwing up the form, they must have typed the wrong letter or something. It is essential that you have a 3rd party involved for this to work because it is conceivable that someone in the chain could have screwed it up, if it is you dealing directly with the insurance company then they may record your conversation and it eliminates that extra level of protection you get.

THIS IS JUST AN IDEA, IT IS NOT INSTRUCTIONS OR A RECOMMENDATION. DO NOT FORGET IT IS ALSO FRAUD.

Mine says i am in a D? which really does not make any sense....and what is a D?
Your question is answered in the start of the post:

A = Low Risk
F = High Risk
* = motorcyles in areas DEF must be securely garaged overnight.

D is a medium risk area.

Yay...... F*. As if I didn't know that East London was a dodgy area.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

The table looks pretty much correct - I used a similar one about 20 years ago.

Nowadays the postcode for car insurance rating is normally based on the full postcode and there are a lot more ratings - I know of one insurer uses 50 different rating areas.

But in the good old days I was area A

Is it just my area (BA14) that they lump a ruralish area with an inner city area(albeit Bath)???

BA15 (Trowvegas) gets an A... HTF can that be?

This list is a bit of a suprise to me.

We were living in CO4 of Colchester, moved approx 400 metres "further" away from the town centre, still in CO4 and insurance went down by £50 a year. House insurance alos went down, despite a bigger house.

How come.... CO4 is a very low risk zone (risk 2) according to Direct Line.

Yeah, shame the insurance company never asked how many nights a week I spend at my girlfriends.

Coventry D* and parked on the road, normally a few streets away as it's very busy!

Hmm, where's that paging alarm.....

x2 I am in Cat B and she is in G34 which is a refer. I dont like parking there, already had the car jumped on when spending the night but nothing untowards in my G84 area. Must be something in it.

I have a feeling the origional source of that particular file might have been me a few years back

Anyway, I remember last time I moved house I went from HD4 (which is an E) to PE11 (which is an A) and even with less than 3 months to go on policies, both my motor and home insurance companies had write me cheques, the drop in premiums was so high. :bannana:

Garage makes very little difference in my experience, garage, driveway or road have always been basically the same for me.

Last time I looked, road to drive made a big difference. Drive to garage was about £11 per year.

PS

Just seen the date of this thread!!!

Last edited:
I live in an A area - may explain why the premiums seem reasonable...

Just seen the date of this thread!!!
I bumped it as it's still valid and probably still pretty accurate.

I moved halfway through a policy and got £300 back which was nice, my new area is quite a bit lower, risk-wise.

I'm in D* :(

Is the fact that car is parked in a [reasonably] secure multi-storey car park which got the "Park Mark" safety rating, considered a plus or a minus from an insurance company's point of view?

That doesn't make sense.

I live in Sheffield and having looked on the list, some of the best post codes to live in (with low crime) are rated worst.

Could it possibly be that they weight them just to charge more because generally the people in nicer post codes can afford more?

OK, so the real crap areas rate poorly as well but that just doesn't add up.

I moved several years ago from a real crappy post code with on street parking to a really nice post code with gated private parking snd my insurance went up. They gave me some rubbish at the time about the reasons why but I think most insurers just do what they want.

It's not just about crime rates.

It's about the claim rate

So if your neighbour keeps writing off his expensive sports car every couple of months, your post codes risk goes up

A friend of mine lives in Castlefield, Manchester and his postcode comes up as "refer". Although the car is parked in a secure carpark, the insurance company insisted that this is no different to being parked on the street! :(

Some underwriters prefer a car to be parked on the street rather than on a driveway. A driveway indicates the house that the thief needs to break into to take the car with the keys.

AJA said:
Some underwriters prefer a car to be parked on the street rather than on a driveway. A driveway indicates the house that the thief needs to break into to take the car with the keys.

Is it car or home insurance that pays out if the keys are stolen from the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom