1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

Post maf "public enemy" target ???

Discussion in 'Engine' started by poormansporsche, Sep 25, 2016.

1. poormansporsche

poormansporsche Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E46 sorry !
    Took my maf off to clean it and inside the actual housing after the sensor there is a plastic gunsight. Of the 4 points where it is joined to the housing were snapped and the 4th was half way through. It was sooo lucky that it hadn't blown off into the engine. So I snapped it off. Does this actually do anything re smooth airflow ? There is a gauze to catch contaminants before the maf so I should imagine the target is not to do with that.

Thoughts ???

Cheers

2. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    1st thought. It's a strengthening part for the tube. :dk:

3. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    You'll need the to replace it as it does have an effect on the airflow for the MAF air flow sensor, it won't effect the air temp sensor. There's no need to refit the metal gauze.

4. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    From memory when I experimented with my MAF and removed the airflow straightener I'm fairly sure it induced an engine flat spot. What I can't understand is how your's is damaged?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016