Potential owner saying good morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banstead Stig

Car
Subaru Forester STi
Hello all.

I don't currently own a Mercedes, but that's potentially going to change soon, so I've signed up to do some research, ask some (possibly stupid) questions and keep an eye on the classified ads.

My current car is a Subaru Forester STi, which I've owned for six and a bit years. I've been heavily involved with a few Subaru forums and was part of the club staff/ moderator team on Surrey Scoobies before we closed it down and moved to facebook (long story... don't move to vBulletin's cloud product is all I'll say!).

The STi punches well above its weight, is great fun and unusual, but it's getting long in the tooth and the time has come to move on. It's a hard act to follow, hence I've kept it so long. There's quite simply nothing like it. My wife has a WRX wagon, so there'll still be some "Jap crap" in the Stig household.

My musings have led me to a number of alternatives, including a C63 Estate. I'm hoping to test drive one next week which looks to be good on screen... we'll see if it delivers in the metal.

I'm not going to ask for people's experiences, etc. as I can probably find lots of posts by searching, so I'll spare you all that irritation for now!

Anyway, hello. Hopefully I'll become a regular if I take the plunge.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum Stig. Nice choice for your first MB.
Plenty of helpful owners here to answer any questions.
Have a quick search and its possible your questions have already been asked and answered. Lots of prospective C63 owners coming on to the forums these days.

Hi & welcome. C63 estate sounds like a very sensible choice!

Welcome. I have just bought a C63 estate 3 weeks ago, after owning an Alfa 156 GTA SW for 10 years. Much like you, I simply couldn't find anything to replace it which I trusted to entertain as much without a massive outlay of money.

Eventually I gave up on avoiding the huge outlay of money (by my standards at least)!

I've been exceedingly pleased with the C63. Sounds and feels epic, and seems to have a good bit of character and fun about it too.

Thanks for the welcomes.

There's lots of good information on here, which I'm already finding vey useful!

@bazzabear - how many miles do you do a year? I put on about 12.5-13k a year, but they're mostly a gentle motorway/dual carriageway jaunt on my commute, so a large capacity V8 should cope admirably, with little stress. I'm hopeful that will mean with properly scheduled servicing and tlc the C63 will live a charmed life with me. My FSTi is overserviced and pampered to try and stave off any of the weak spots biting me.

Looking at the servicing etc. it all looks fairly sensible. The bit I need to more fully understand (so more research) is where the exposure to big bills lie and how to manage that exposure.

A friend of mine introduced me to the mantra when it comes to cars, "if you can afford two, you can afford to buy one". That's a bit more of a reserve than I really want to put aside looking at the C63, but I know I'll need some contingency... just working out hi is much and whether it's best use of funds!

So once they complete the road works on the Mad Mile...you'll be ready to rumble!!!

Ah well, I started working from home last year, so my mileage is tiny. Probably 4k or 5k a year max.

I did a bit of research into costs, and they didn't seem so different to the GTA I had. Plus it was 14 years old, and was having to spend a bit on replacement of components wearing out. I suspect overall this car is actually going to be cheaper to run for me. If not, I can manage - I'd just rather not have to. :D

If you can stretch to E63 its a roomier more refined product- It has self levelling at the rear for starters. If its a more relaxed drive you are after following the Subaru?
Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Estate: used long-term test review (2015) by CAR Magazine

Don't introduce more possibilities for me... it's taken me three years to get to the current shortlist! :eek:

Seriously though, it's a good suggestion. Do Mercedes' suffer with SLS issues? Luckily the STi doesn't have it, but lots of that generation Forester suffer with all sorts of issues. Most people seem to replace with non-SLS.

Don't introduce more possibilities for me... it's taken me three years to get to the current shortlist! :eek:

Seriously though, it's a good suggestion. Do Mercedes' suffer with SLS issues? Luckily the STi doesn't have it, but lots of that generation Forester suffer with all sorts of issues. Most people seem to replace with non-SLS.
SLS? - as in Self Levelling Suspension? I have had three Mercedes with rear airmatic and front springs and NEVER had a problem. I don't think it is a particular problem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SLS? - as in Self Levelling Suspension? I have had three Mercedes with rear airmatic and front springs and NEVER had a problem. I don't think it is a particular problem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yep, that's what I meant. Good to know it shouldn't be a concern. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom