PreSafe Operated But No Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lala64

Car
Mercedes E220d
I have the PreSafe Plus package on my E class. Whilst negotiating a reasonably slow (30-40mph) right hand bend there was a single-decker school bus going in the opposite direction. I remember thinking the bus was in a hurry but I was then distracted by white noise and my seat going sideways so cannot say with any certainty how close the bus came.

My local dealer hooked it up to the computer and confirmed the airbag in the seat pillar had inflated and needs to be replaced along with 3 radar sensors - 4 hours labour, £1500. Mercedes say that it isn't covered under warranty as it operated correctly and I mostly get that although I harbour some reservation.

My insurance company were initially very receptive but are now insisting an engineer come and inspect the car to authorise repairs. Having explained there is nothing to see (no impact) we have agreed they will attend at the dealership when I take the car in.

I'm expecting complications so would be interested to hear from someone with experience of same or similar.

Something odd here. The seat pillar airbag is triggered if an unavoidable side impact is detected to occur within 600 ms. I understand an unavoidable impact might turn into no impact at some very low likelihood (causing the airbag deployment) but why on earth would the car need new 3 new radar sensors?

Something odd here. The seat pillar airbag is triggered if an unavoidable side impact is detected to occur within 600 ms. I understand an unavoidable impact might turn into no impact at some very low likelihood (causing the airbag deployment) but why on earth would the car need new 3 new radar sensors?

Unless the sensors are faulty and thus set off the airbag? Is mb trying to hide this?

My local dealer hooked it up to the computer and confirmed the airbag in the seat pillar had inflated....

I'm not familiar with this, but is it not obvious if the airbag has inflated - does it stay contained within the pillar?

Yep, it was the replacement radars that stumped me too. Otherwise I'm expecting 2 or 3 £1500 "accidents" annually? I'll try a direct approach to MB Head Office...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom